Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Controlled Dehumidifer  (Read 468 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am trying to build a dehumidifier for collecting water from air. The goal of this project is to produce at least 50ml of water in 8 hours under extreme and varying conditions, using < 10A of current and 12 V of DC power that is extremely durable.

The extreme conditions I speak of would be -60 degrees and 10% humidity, however I will really take what I can get (as I realise this may be quite a stretch).

So far I have got the following materials:
158W Peltier Element
Noctua NH4-D14
Arctic Silver Thermal Compound
Generic Lab Power Supply

I am looking for:
Solid State Relay for DC rated for 20A and 15V.

Putting this altogether and running it at 12V makes the surface of the Peltier go to -6 degrees. It quickly collects condensation however before it can run off into the collection vessel it freezes, even if it is hung upside down or sideways. So at the moment I am really looking for a way to prevent my water from freezing before it runs off.

Woud like to hear your thoughts.

United States (Texas)
God Member
Arduino socks
View Profile

use pwm to keep the temperature a hair above the freezing point. a pid loop with a temperature sensor could manage it. also, i think an ssr would not be the right tool for the job. a good logic level mosfet might be more appropriate for switching.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

use pwm to keep the temperature a hair above the freezing point.

Problem is what if the ambient temperature is below freezing point? Wouldn't I need a colder surface than ambient to collect condensation in all cases? Also I would rather stay away from playing with temperature sensors and voltage regulators, seems like swatting a fly with a shotgun.

also, i think an ssr would not be the right tool for the job. a good logic level mosfet might be more appropriate for switching.

Why do you say that?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: