FastLED/NeoPixel Animation repository suggestion

For the life of me, I've been looking for some place that has assemble an area of code for people . A sort of repository of animations for various applications that newbies can study or people can freely use.

Would be great to get that started if not already and maybe get it sticked.

Right now I am on my mobile but when I get to my computer, I will try to upload a few I found and links to video for reference.

Hopefully we can get a big enough archive of animations for people to make their own.

If you are posting code that is not yours, please give credit to that person/group.

---- Animations here ----

cyclegadget:
Tweaking4All.com - Arduino - LEDStrip effects for NeoPixel and FastLED

updated: 12/6/2018

Well, there have been other suggestions of "repositories" - for things other than animations.

There is a "wiki" here of sorts, but I confess I have not looked into it greatly. There are other sites not part of arduino.cc which do these things - I myself am not familiar with them but others will no doubt suggest.

And there is the "Introductory Tutorials" forum here with the same intent.

And I understand the exact same problem for other forums - the need to have a nice classified help tree.

The big problem is curation. That "Introductory Tutorials" forum demonstrates the problem clearly. Someone needs to do the sorting, and just who is going to do that? It is a more intensive problem than being a moderator and the more people involved, the more difficult it is to gain consensus - for better or worse. It falls to one person with the trust of the majority. That's a big ask!

I get that completely. You can't expect the moderators to take on this task as I'm sure they get swamped with other tasks.

With that said, I tend to lurk here in the background often. What I will do is, I will keep my first post with animations I find. I will try to keep it up-to-date as possible as I have a bunch of projects I have to do here.

The real reason I want to make this, is I know how hard it can be sometimes to understand concepts if you're not familiar with programming. Having that code there to look over and make sense of is extremely helpful. I also promotes learning.

I am a big proponent of sharing in the DIY community. I learned by the gracious people here and I want to give back to fellow newbies like me.

I will continue to update my first post with more information.

The major problem with this is that there are so many different combinations of display format and hardware.

Hardware would be things like addressable LEDs vs matrix driven, with many variants of each. Then there is display format, single string, multiple string and matrix. Then if matrix what is the x by y size and how it is wired.

For example support you have an eight by eight matrix made from addressable LED strips, I recon their is eight ways to wire it up. Each one will have a different software, and the software could be blocking or non blocking.

The problem as I see it is that once you have one single pattern, being beginners, there will be requests for all sorts of variations. I can see this becoming unmanageable almost instantly.

Grumpy_Mike:
The major problem with this is that there are so many different combinations of display format and hardware.

Hardware would be things like addressable LEDs vs matrix driven, with many variants of each. Then there is display format, single string, multiple string and matrix. Then if matrix what is the x by y size and how it is wired.

For example support you have an eight by eight matrix made from addressable LED strips, I recon their is eight ways to wire it up. Each one will have a different software, and the software could be blocking or non blocking.

The problem as I see it is that once you have one single pattern, being beginners, there will be requests for all sorts of variations. I can see this becoming unmanageable almost instantly.

When you put it that way, it def sounds like a difficult task. I know spending all the time I did searching the internet for such a thing was a pain.

IWith that said, I would like to help out at least. So what I will do is, I will keep my post updated with my findings and people can add to it themselves if they want.

I would like to not that, things dont have to be broken down by hardware. Only by library. I use FASTLED and sometimes NEOPIXEL and will upload code for those pretty much.

willhartley:
When you put it that way, it def sounds like a difficult task. I know spending all the time I did searching the internet for such a thing was a pain.

Yep, that is pretty much what I said.

willhartley:
With that said, I would like to help out at least. So what I will do is, I will keep my post updated with my findings and people can add to it themselves if they want.

The problem is that except when you do an update, your post will percolate down and away from sight. You only get a "sticky" rating for something really important - because - if too many things are "stickies", then they fight for precedence in exactly the same manner, and prevent people from seeing the active threads.

This forum structure is simply not the right medium for what you seek.

What you could do is create a page in the forum’s playground area. Then it wouldn’t keep getting lost.

I will give that a look. Right now I have a collection of animations I have found and some I have pieced together from old code.

I just wanted people to be able to quickly find that as when I look, it is really hard to find. I thank you all for the advice and opinions.

This link has an "All effects" sketch that I found helpful.

cyclegadget:
This link has an "All effects" sketch that I found helpful.

Tweaking4All.com - Arduino - LEDStrip effects for NeoPixel and FastLED

Thanks! I a few from here that I like and have mixed up myself.

Thanks for the addition!