Go Down

Topic: power consumption on hall sensor (Read 75 times) previous topic - next topic

BETOFIN

Does the power of a magnet effect power consumption in a circuit?

I have 2 magnets and both of them can trigger the hall sensor. But one of them is a really strong magnet, another is such weak.

Is there any difference in battery life, if I use a strong or weak magnet? why/ why not?

thanks

pylon

Magnets in move induce current in metal parts. The stronger a magnet is, the higher the induction effect. Theoretically these currents can influence the battery life but this impossible to predict without detailed project documentation and still hard to tell if that information would be available.

Why do you think this is relevant in your case? Why don't you tell us more about the setup?

MarkT

Does the power of a magnet effect power consumption in a circuit?

I have 2 magnets and both of them can trigger the hall sensor. But one of them is a really strong magnet, another is such weak.

Is there any difference in battery life, if I use a strong or weak magnet? why/ why not?

thanks
No, the hall sensor will have a pretty constant supply current whatever its sensing, as the hall
chip doesnt change resistance, it just displays a voltage at right angles to the current flow.

Modern hall sensors and chips are usually pretty low power consumption - if you want micropower
performance, you would do well to look for lower power versions of hall sensors, remember they
drain current whatever the magnetic field is.
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

Go Up