Go Down

Topic: Upload issues with Atmega328p directly connected to TX2 module (Read 55 times) previous topic - next topic

rk63018

Hi there,

I am having issues uploading a sketch to my ATmega328P chip which is on a custom board identical to the Arduino Mini Pro. This board is connected to a TX2 module setup. The Rx and Tx lines goes directly to TX2 and we downloaded the Arduino IDE on Ubuntu.

If we connect a USB dongle to the Rx and Tx lines on our custom board to the TX2 carrier board setup, we can successfully upload the sketch.

But we expect that we do not need to use a dongle, since the Rx and Tx signal lines from the Atmega328P on our custom board goes directly to the TX2 module via a connector. When we try to upload a sketch without the dongle, we get this error

avrdude: arduino_read_sig_bytes(): (a) protocol error, expect=0x10, resp=0x0e
avrdude: error reading signature data for part "ATMEGA328P", rc=-3
avrdude: error reading signature data, rc=-3
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect 0x14 resp=0x00

The Tx and Rx lines works, since without the dongle I can read and write bytes using the Arduino serial monitor. This shows that UART communication (without the dongle) between our custom board that has the Atmega328P and through the connector to the TX2 module is working. However, we just cannot upload the sketch without the dongle.

We do the same steps, press upload, press the reset button but it does not work. When we got our Atmega328p it needed a bootloader, so I used an Arduino to burn the bootloader in it. I followed these steps

https://www.instructables.com/id/Burn-a-New-Bootloader-Arduino-Pro-Mini/

where I wired it to an Arduino open the AdruinoISP sketch and burned the bootloader onto the Atmega328p. Not sure if the firmware I put on the Atmega328p is correct.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Go Up