Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: sensor with pulse with modulation and pin  (Read 395 times)
italy
Muuuuu
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

May be I am doing a stupid question but: if sensor like water flow ones are like a switch that every turn make the output going high for a short time, why have they 3 pins?
I think it would be sufficent to have 2. Using a pull up resistor, one must be connected to digital_in and to the resistor going at 5v and the second connected to GND.
What's the reason of using one more pin? thanks

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

May be I am doing a stupid question but: if sensor like water flow ones are like a switch that every turn make the output going high for a short time, why have they 3 pins?
I think it would be sufficent to have 2. Using a pull up resistor, one must be connected to digital_in and to the resistor going at 5v and the second connected to GND.
What's the reason of using one more pin? thanks

It depends on the sensor. If it's a 'passive' sensor using say a magnetic reed switch that senses a magnet spinning on the flow meter's impeller then only two wires would be required. However if the sensor uses a 'active' sensor, say a hall effect magnetic switch then the hall effect devices requires a voltage source to operate, so needs three wires.

italy
Muuuuu
View Profile

hall effect is a good example, you're right! May be my water flow sensor uses this principle. Thanks

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

May be I am doing a stupid question but
Questions are not stupid, they cannot be, people NOT asking them might be smiley

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: