Go Down

Topic: uno wifi rev2 board will not compile (Read 640 times) previous topic - next topic

a417366

I recently bought a new pc that has Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299  and bought the Arduino Uno WiFi Rev2 board, https://store.arduino.cc/usa/arduino-uno-wifi-rev2

I was trying to follow the guide here: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoUnoWiFiRev2. I initially tried IDE 1.8.8 and got compiler errors and then noticed in the tutorial it showed 1.8.5 so I de-installed 1.8.8 and installed 1.8.5 but still get the errors.

After installing the IDE I would go to tools, board, boards manager type in wifi rev2 and it installed 1.6.24. I then selected that as the board (wifi rev2) and following the guide it says to open the blink example but when I try and compile I am getting a lot of errors (see below).

I moved on and in the guide it has a link to https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/WiFiNINA which says "When the library version installed on your computer is the latest available, you may check the firmware version of the board or the shield. We have prepared a utility sketch to check the firmware version and its matching with the library. If the firmware needs an update, another utility sketch enables the process. Below the link to the relevant tutorials."

But i cannot find any references where that utility sketch is ?

I have another laptop with IDE 1.8.1 running windows 7 and when I added the wifi rev2 board the blink example compiled so not sure if this is a win10 issue with that board ?

thanks

In file included from C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\megaavr\1.6.24\cores\arduino\wiring_private.h:31:0,

from C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\megaavr\1.6.24\cores\arduino\WInterrupts.c:33:

C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\megaavr\1.6.24\cores\arduino\WInterrupts.c: In function 'attachInterrupt':

C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\megaavr\1.6.24\cores\arduino\Arduino.h:127:44: warning: initialization discards 'volatile' qualifier from pointer target type [-Wdiscarded-qualifiers]

#define getPINnCTRLregister(port, bit_pos) ( ((port != NULL) && (bit_pos < NOT_A_PIN)) ? ((volatile uint8_t *)&(port->PIN0CTRL) + bit_pos) : NULL )

^

C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\megaavr\1.6.24\cores\arduino\WInterrupts.c:77:29: note: in expansion of macro 'getPINnCTRLregister'

uint8_t* pin_ctrl_reg = getPINnCTRLregister(port, bit_pos);

^

C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\megaavr\1.6.24\cores\arduino\WInterrupts.c: In function 'detachInterrupt':

C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\megaavr\1.6.24\cores\arduino\Arduino.h:127:44: warning: initialization discards 'volatile' qualifier from pointer target type [-Wdiscarded-qualifiers]

#define getPINnCTRLregister(port, bit_pos) ( ((port != NULL) && (bit_pos < NOT_A_PIN)) ? ((volatile uint8_t *)&(port->PIN0CTRL) + bit_pos) : NULL )

^

C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\megaavr\1.6.24\cores\arduino\WInterrupts.c:100:29: note: in expansion of macro 'getPINnCTRLregister'

^

In file included from C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\megaavr\1.6.24\cores\arduino\wiring_private.h:31:0,

from C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\megaavr\1.6.24\cores\arduino\wiring_digital.c:26:

C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\megaavr\1.6.24\cores\arduino\wiring_digital.c: In function 'pinMode':

^

C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\megaavr\1.6.24\cores\arduino\wiring_digital.c:51:27: note: in expansion of macro 'getPINnCTRLregister'

^

C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\megaavr\1.6.24\cores\arduino\wiring_digital.c: In function 'digitalWrite':

^

C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\megaavr\1.6.24\cores\arduino\wiring_digital.c:173:27: note: in expansion of macro 'getPINnCTRLregister'

^

C:\Users\Jim\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\megaavr\1.6.24\cores\arduino\UNO_compat.cpp:20:2: warning: #warning "ATMEGA328 registers emulation is enabled. You may encounter some speed issue. Please consider to disable it in the Tools menu" [-Wcpp]

#warning "ATMEGA328 registers emulation is enabled. You may encounter some speed issue. Please consider to disable it in the Tools menu"

^

Sketch uses 1534 bytes (3%) of program storage space. Maximum is 49152 bytes.
Global variables use 22 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 6122 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 6144 bytes.

ballscrewbob

Dec 12, 2018, 11:45 pm Last Edit: Dec 13, 2018, 05:50 am by ballscrewbob
You need to learn to use CODE TAGS for error messages and sketches ( </> )

If you installed everything correctly there should be some examples under "Examples for any Board" called "WiFiNINA"

You will also find references in both the MKR1010 and the section dedicated to the WiFi rev 2 board about the NINA.

It may not be the answer you were looking for but its the one I am giving based on either experience, educated guess, google or the fact that you gave nothing to go with in the first place so I used my wonky crystal ball.

pert

I then selected that as the board (wifi rev2) and following the guide it says to open the blink example but when I try and compile I am getting a lot of errors (see below).
You need to understand the difference between warnings and errors. A warning is the compiler telling you there is something in the code that could possibly cause a problem but doesn't cause the compilation to fail. An error is a problem with the code that causes compilation to fail. You have posted only warnings, not errors and compilation was successful.

You should always pay attention to warnings and fix them in your own code whenever possible. In this case, the warnings are not in your code. I haven't looked at them closely, but I suspect they won't cause you any real problems. So it's probably best to just ignore them. I do hope that the Arduino developers will fix these soon (with the exception of the last one, which is intentional) because these warnings make it difficult to notice when there are warnings in your own code.

I have another laptop with IDE 1.8.1 running windows 7 and when I added the wifi rev2 board the blink example compiled so not sure if this is a win10 issue with that board ?
Probably you have warnings turned off on that computer. You can turn them on at File > Preferences > Compiler warnings. I recommend always having that set to "All".

a417366

Go Up