Go Down

Topic: Zero-crossing or random turn-on SSR, to use with 220V heating element with PID? (Read 943 times) previous topic - next topic

Kristof De Buysere

Apr 15, 2011, 03:24 am Last Edit: Apr 15, 2011, 04:39 am by Kristof De Buysere Reason: 1
Hi,

For a project, we (students) want to demonstrate the principle of PID to control the temperature of a room. Instead of using an entire room, we will make a "sample setup": namely a box with temperature sensor and a 220V AC heating element in it (probably coming from a hair dryer, or another home or kitchen appliance). And with a fan in it, to spread the temperature.

We will use an arduino, with the PID library, and we will connect that to a Solid State Relay (SSR).

However, it seems that we can use two types of solid state relays: zero-crossing or random turn-on... Which type should be chosen?

MarkT

So long as it works I don't suppose it matters for you application.  Zero-crossing relays produce less radio interference and noise on the mains, so are in general preferred I think.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy