Go Down

Topic: 4x4x4 LED cube driven by TLC5940 (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic

Grumpy_Mike

they light up even without hooking the pin up.

Yes they will. A PNP transistor has to be held off by putting the base high. Also double check the transistors pinout with the data sheet.

Benji

I have just emptied my desk, made a sweet little place and smacked my head into it repeatedly.
After that I have send an e-mail to the store I bought these transistors from.
The dumb <insert bad word for behind here> have placed the wrong datasheet on their website.
Same transistor but a different supplier and a different pin-out.

I corrected the pin-out and now I have 64 nice and bright LED's.
At the moment it is flashing it's layers one by one, up and down and the world is again smiling at me.

Mike, thanks for the great support!
You didn't even get grumpy, at least not in your words ;)

I might get back to this topic if I can't get multiplexing going, but not until I have tried to figure it out myself.

Grumpy_Mike

Well done  :)
We don't have to rewrite the physics manual!

You sometime find with transistors that the suffix letter indicates the pinout variations. I used to have a hard time keeping up with all of them (in the pre WWW days) that's why I made my transistor tester.
http://www.thebox.myzen.co.uk/Hardware/Transistor_Tester.html 

Benji

This transistor has a bunch of info on it but google only gives me places where I can buy it.
A lot of searching gave me that these where produced by Vishay, so I could find the right datasheet and that gave me the pin out.
Base and collector where the other way around, so I only had the emitter correct.

Tonight I'm gonna start playing around with the code and see what animations I can come up with.

Benji

Got the first bits of code running smoothly :)
Awesome to see it do what you wanted it to do all along!

Now that I have my first project running, I'm really starting to learn the Arduino coding way, and start running into things that were not included in the tutorials that I did.

Thanks for the support Mike, without you I would probably still be blowing up transistors and TLC's :).

econjack

I've been following the NxNxN LED cube discussions in several different places. I plan on building one myself, based on the 1280, as soon as I'm in my new house. I know enough electronics to be dangerous, but I'm pretty good at software (taught in the CS dept. at a Big Ten university and have written over a dozen programming books, mostly on C and C#). Anyway, I would like to do a "3D pattern editor" for a cube. Unlike some editors that are tethered to a PC, I would like to write it as a stand-alone editor on the PC where you could "play" the pattern during development until you're happy then download the binary to the Arduino for display.

My reason for posting is that, if someone's already done this, I'd love a copy of it. If not, what would the group here like for a feature set? Personally, I'd like to see a callDisplay() method with four parameters (although the method could be overloaded for "unused" parameters). The parameters would be: 1) row, 2) column, 3) LED time on, and 4) number of repetitions. The user interface would be a 3D rendering of the LED cube and you would click the one you are currently programming. When the parameters are set, you click Save and that pattern is stored in a binary file. You would be able to play the binary back on the PC for testing. When everything's as you wish, you hit Transmit which ships it to the Arduino.

Comments, ideas, suggestions...

Benji

I think it sounds like a great idea, only you're going to have to make a standard circuit for it, otherwise people are going to complain it doesn't work with the led driver X and arduino Y.

I think it's best to just do what you think is good to have, you can always publish it and then ask people what they would like to see changed/added/removed.

One thing I would really like is to have a cross platform application. This probably makes it a lot harder to pull it off, but it keeps the spirit of the cross platform open system that Arduino is.

Go Up