Go Down

Topic: Bi-direction optocoupler for One-Wire DS18B20 temperature sensors (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

DaveO

Looking to use a number of DS18B20 temperature sensors all linked on the same data line ( with separate power supply - ie.. not in parasite mode )

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to isolate the data line from the sensor to the boards input pin with a 2 way optocoupler ?

If so, what would be the best part number to use ?

gorbs

If I've understood it correctly (*and I stand to be corrected as a noob!) you don't need to isolate the sensors with an external power supply. 

You should be able to happily run multiple sensors (in non-parasite mode) in parallel off three wires - shared 5V external on one wire, shared data on another (going to arduino) and shared GND which is tied between the 5V supply and the arduino. You'll still need a 4k7 ohm resistor at the start of the run between data and 5V.

Is there a reason you want to isolate them?

DaveO

You should be able to happily run multiple sensors (in non-parasite mode) in parallel off three wires - shared 5V external on one wire, shared data on another (going to arduino) and shared GND which is tied between the 5V supply and the arduino. You'll still need a 4k7 ohm resistor at the start of the run between data and 5V.

Is there a reason you want to isolate them?

It is the shared data to the Arduino pin that I am looking to isolate.  Everything else to & from the board is to be isolated either with transistors, MOSFETs, relays or optocouplers.

With the length of the wires being used, I thought it would be best to isolate all pins.

tkbyd

This question relates to answer in...

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,58324.0.html

A "bi-directional opto-isolator" is a difficult concept to grasp in this context

Graynomad

Apr 19, 2011, 03:04 pm Last Edit: Apr 19, 2011, 03:09 pm by Graynomad Reason: 1
There are bi-directional I2C transceivers, maybe they will work.

Also look at the ADUM1200/1201/1250/1251
______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy