Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Fixing up a solder iron  (Read 572 times)
Northern California (by San Francisco)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've returned to electronics as a hobby after a break of 10 years or so. My soldering iron is a bit the worse for wear. The tip has some black spots on it that keep it from holding solder on those spots when I try to tin the iron before soldering. Those spots also will not transfer heat to the wires I want to solder. I have to find a clean spot on the tip to get the job done.

I'd like to clean up the tip. I tried some fine-grain sandpaper, and that took a lot of it off. But some black spots remain. Should I use a knife to scrape them off? Use some coarser sandpaper? Or just give up and buy a new tip?

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions from their more extensive experience.

The Netherlands
Beep!
View Profile

Just get a new tip. They are not expensive, and even if you manage to get the tip cleaned up you'll still have a tip that isn't 100% anymore.

Faraday Member
ruggedcircuits.com
View Profile

Agreed, get a new tip.

Hakko has some nice technical notes on taking care of your tip:

http://www.hakkousa.com/doc_library.asp?DocType=Tech+Note&offset=20

It's tech notes TN00000025 through TN00000027.

--
The Gadget Shield: accelerometer, RGB LED, IR transmit/receive, speaker, microphone, light sensor, potentiometer, pushbuttons

Northern California (by San Francisco)
View Profile

Makes sense. Thanks for the tips.

The Netherlands
Beep!
View Profile

When you get a new one, get two of them. That way you'll have a spare when you screw one up. You'll see that you kill it when you really want to finish that one circuit and all stores are closed smiley

Newcastle, England
Always learning!
View Profile

You should also get a variety of sizes and types of tips, so you can change them round when you solder different things. I would buy a large chisel tip, a smaller chisel tip and a pointy tip. This allows you to solder in small spaces, join thick wires and have a spare tip for playing around with.

Onions.

My website: http://www.harryrabbit.co.uk/electronics/home.html Up and running now! (Feel free to look round!) smiley-grin

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

You should also get a variety of sizes and types of tips, so you can change them round when you solder different things. I would buy a large chisel tip, a smaller chisel tip and a pointy tip. This allows you to solder in small spaces, join thick wires and have a spare tip for playing around with.
I'd say that's a bit un-necessary - Maybe 2 tips. I've managed with a 2-3mm chisel tip for about a year and I solder everything with it - you just need practice and some good solder.

Copenhagen / Denmark
Edison Member
Do it !
View Profile

Most important - keep the new tip clean all the time.

It will give it a much longer life, and make your soldering better.

The Netherlands
Beep!
View Profile

I get by with a chisel tip and a small pointy one, mostly I just use the small pointy one since I hardly ever solder large surfaces.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: