Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Uno Voltage  (Read 288 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello,
i used a 12V DC 2.5 A adapter on my Arduino Uno, but it destroyed it.
i don't know why this happen , i know that it's recommended to use 12 Volt adapter but this one destroyed my Arduino.
please advice what adapter should i use for UNO and for MEGA, since i dont want to ruin another board.
Best Regards,

Edison Member
View Profile

The 12V destroyed the Arduino board ?
How did you connect the 12V to the board ?

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

The current drawn from the voltage regulator depends on the Arduino design (about 50 or 60 mA) plus what is attached to the 5V and data pins of your Arduino.  The power dissipated by the regulator depends on that current and the difference between input and output voltage.  For example if your Arduino and peripherals draw 400 mA at 5V and you are feeding the regulator with 7V (minimum recommended voltage) the regulator has to dissipate 2V*0.4A = 0.8W.  If you feed the regulator with 12V (the maximum recommended) it will dissipate 7V*0.4A = 2.8W.  It will get MUCH hotter.

If your Arduino won't run off USB power it is trying to draw more than 500 mA.  You might want to figure out where all that power is going and figure out a lower-power way to do the same thing.

If you replace the 12V supply with  a 7V supply you will be much less likely to burn out the regulator.

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

View Profile

Thank you, i will check this out and get back to you

View Profile

If the UNO had no shields or external connections, 12 volts would do no damage. Did the UNO run once you connected your power source? If it did not run, there are two possible cases to cause damage.

1. The adapter's output was the wrong polarity. Arduino connection is + to small, center pin.

2. Output from adapter was AC, not DC.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: