Go Down

Topic: [meta] It doesn't work (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Metallor

Oh lovely.  Fallacy.  What's that?  False Equivalence?  Doesn't really matter.  Let's see what's next...
False evidence? OK, you go and find the demographics of how many infants are using this forum. While I do not have any evidence that it is 0%, I think it is a rather reasonable assumption.

"If prompted?"  What's that one?  Changing the Goalposts?  Looks like it.
The idea was that if they said "It doesn't work" they would get an automatic error message asking them for more information. You know, like a prompt. I guess you missed that. Try reading and understanding everything better next time.

And that's three.  Three solid fallacies.  Good for you.
Good for you too.

Extremely hostile is extremely hostile no matter how it's clothed.
I actually apologised to that person before coming back and reading this post.

I apologise for my curtness and lack of tact.
Also, those two things are totally different. One was something that was actually said, and one was a hypothetical thing that would never actually be said.

You seem rather hostile yourself btw.

Willpatel_Kendmirez

The idea was that if they said "It doesn't work" they would get an automatic error message asking them for more information. You know, like a prompt. I guess you missed that. Try reading and understanding everything better next time.
But then there will be a million annoying false positives. Like I said, what happens if they say "It doesn't work.." just as an introductory phrase to a proper explanation, "It doesn't work, in that when I do <X> and expect <Y>, I get <Z> etc etc."

Metallor

But then there will be a million annoying false positives. Like I said, what happens if they say "It doesn't work.." just as an introductory phrase to a proper explanation, "It doesn't work, in that when I do <X> and expect <Y>, I get <Z> etc etc."
In your experience, do people write like that though?

Robin2

This is true, but if they can provide at least some level of description without being prompted that is at least a more useful post and probably get to the answer quicker.
The newbies to the Forum may not be infants but their question might easily be the first time they have asked for help other than to say "Dad, my [xxx toy] won't work" in which case Dad probably did all the debugging without passing that skill on to his child (or just bought a new one).

And, to take a more grown-up example, if you need to call in the plumber or the electrician to fix a problem the symptoms are usually very visible and a Q & A dialogue between the plumber and the householder is not necessary. "It's leaking" or "it won't work" are probably sufficient for the plumber or electrician to be able to sort the problem out.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up