Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Downloading to Project Board  (Read 406 times)
Toronto, Canada
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

It is my understanding that the code is up loaded to the ATmega328 through pins 2 and 3 (which are connected to Digital pins 0 and 1 on the Arduino board). Would running jumpers from the same pins on my stand alone board to my Arduino (with no chip installed) allow me to download any code changes I would like to make without pulling the chip out of my project?

- would I also need to run a jumper for pin 1 (reset)?
- will there be any power supply conflicts? My project is running off batteries.
- will this also allow me to Serial.print to my computer for debugging?

Thanks

Spark

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

It is my understanding that the code is up loaded to the ATmega328 through pins 2 and 3 (which are connected to Digital pins 0 and 1 on the Arduino board). Would running jumpers from the same pins on my stand alone board to my Arduino (with no chip installed) allow me to download any code changes I would like to make without pulling the chip out of my project?

Yes. And you don't actually have to remove the chip from your arduino board, just run a jumper from a ground pin to the reset pin on the board, that will hold the chip inactive in the reset mode.

- would I also need to run a jumper for pin 1 (reset)?

Yes, if you want the arduino IDE to be able to do a auto-reset just prior to uploading. Otherwise you need to install a manual reset button on your standalone and press it at just the proper moment when needing to upload. If you want the autoreset to work you will have to remove the 328 chip from the arduino board and not use the ground jumper mentioned above.

- will there be any power supply conflicts? My project is running off batteries.

You will have to run a ground wire from your arduino board to your standalone board for the serial path to work.

- will this also allow me to Serial.print to my computer for debugging?

Yes it will.

Lefty
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 01:43:05 pm by retrolefty » Logged

Toronto, Canada
View Profile

Thanks Lefty, I'll give it a try.

Spark.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: