Go Down

Topic: HTML5 arduino interfacing? (Read 133 times) previous topic - next topic

darksir

Dear friends,
please, can you help me? Firstly please, I'm sorry for my bad english.

I need made very simple application, which will be configured from PC. For example arduino LEDs controlled from PC (linux, windows), tablet and mobile, via serial port or bluetooth (from tablet/mobile).
I need multiplatform control software. Which solution is better for this? Is it possible, control arduino via RS-232  from HTML5 application? If yes, can you send me some link with any inspiration, or which protocol I can use?

Many thanks, Petr

PaulS

Is it possible, control arduino via RS-232  from HTML5 application?
No. The HTML5 "application" runs on a server. It is not, generally, possible to connect the Arduino to the server.

You could do what everyone else does that wants to communicate with the Arduino via any device anywhere. Make the Arduino wear an Ethernet shield.

Chagrin

No. The HTML5 "application" runs on a server. It is not, generally, possible to connect the Arduino to the server.
Actually, Google Chrome has a serial port API for HTML5. Mozilla is working on the same. I wouldn't really say it's "there" yet but be careful with the canned answers for this question ;)

I'm too dull with HTML5 myself, but fwiw: https://developer.chrome.com/apps/serial

darksir wrote:
s it possible, control arduino via RS-232  from HTML5 application?
PaulS wrote:
No. The HTML5 "application" runs on a server.
HTML5 applications are not run on a server, they are served up by a server to run on a client, typically in a web browser application.

In answer to your question, in essence, yes, you can have an HTML application operating on a client which then is able to interact with a device that might use serial communications over RS-232.

There are two methods, one as pointed out by Chagrin, is to have the client HTML5 web application communicate directly through the communications channel to the device, or secondly and more commonly, have the HTML web application communicate with a server that can then also commuicate to the device on the serial communications channel.

The first method I have seen used by vendors of GPS units, such as Garmin, where the HTML web application communicates with the main host site to get firmware updates and is able to communicate directly with connected GPS device to detect serial ID info and install update firmware. Another is firmware updates to certain Android smartphones, Cyanogenmod for example.

The second method is sometimes used by SCADA systems, where devices are connected to a main system running a communications channel scanner and HTTP server in one application. This allows remote viewing of device data via HTTP using a web application. Such SCADA applications are able to communicate with many connected devices of many different sorts using various protocols. Such a application as above is currently my main project.
____
Paul
paul alting van geusau

Feb 26, 2015, 12:21 am Last Edit: Feb 26, 2015, 03:19 am by DarkAngel1973
(N/a)

jsimasek

Feb 26, 2015, 08:29 pm Last Edit: Feb 26, 2015, 08:31 pm by jsimasek
I think this is something you are looking foor. You can generate code which contacts some remote page with ethernet shield. And parse data to control arduino. Creating a web UI on some free hosting  is simple

http://visualgen.org/index.php/articlesblog/49-control-deck-with-live-camera

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy