Go Down

Topic: Real Time Plotting Tool ( Oscilloscope ) (Read 58101 times) previous topic - next topic

Jantje

Brijesh
This SimPlot looks interesting to me.
Is there a reason why there are only 4 channels? I mean my mega has 50+ pins. So 4 is a little little.
Best regards
Jantje
Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

Brijesh

Is there a reason why there are only 4 channels? I mean my mega has 50+ pins. So 4 is a little little.

SimPlot was intended to be similar to Oscilloscope than a Logic Analyzer. The 50 pins on mega are all digital pins and plotting the state of those pins is functionality of Logic analyzer. SimPlot is intended to plot analog values like output of sensors sampled by ADC, or values of internal variables etc.

That being said, it looks like there is interest for more number of channels. I will put in my to do list and increase the number of channels to 8. If there is interest in Logic analyzer capability I will look into adding that as well. Not sure how much interest is there.

Cheers

Jantje

Thanks for the positive response.
I referred to the 50 pins of the mega because in practice you need to do some calculations to decide whether you turn the pin on or of.
Simplifying you could say that each pin has some integer value that will put the pin high or low. When you read the pin itself you do not know the integer value.
With your scope it is possible to know the calculation steps. And then 4 is kind of limiting.
For instance currently I have a buggy project that reads 2 potmeters and a distance sensor and a light dependent resistor to decide to activate a motor.
That is already 4 scopes for the inputs. If I also want some inbetween values (or the motor speed) I need to drop a scope line.
Anyways I'll instal the tool now and do some tests tomorrow.
Best regards
Jantje

Jantje

Wauw
That was quick.
It works like a charm. To bad it is written in .net. Otherwise I would add the additional channels myself.
Great work.

Best regards
Jantje

Jantje

I must say I'm really impressed with the effectiveness of this functionality.
Using your tool I succeeded in fixing several bugs in my software which could have cost me several hours to find and fix without it.
Basically I saw that the scrolling halted for a while indicating a "extra delay". Because of the other channels it was easy for me to locate the delay.
I also saw the wrong line moving when I changed something; indicating reading the wrong pins.
And I saw the lines being stable meaning that the analog reads are reliable even when my motor is running. Increasing my thrust in the hardware.

In short: You have made a great tool which allows fast (quickly installed and very basic code changes) and appropriate action.

Thanks a lot

Jantje

RjPrimer

I'm getting values displayed in my serial monitor, now  I want it to be printed in the interface of my VB specifically in my Richtext

Code: [Select]

Private Sub DisplayCharacter(ByVal displayChar As String)
        RichTextBox1.Text = displayChar
    End Sub

Private Sub SerialPort1_DataReceived(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.IO.Ports.SerialDataReceivedEventArgs)
        Dim RxData As String
        System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(300)
        RxData = SerialPort1.ReadExisting()
        RichTextBox1.Invoke(New DisplayDelegate(AddressOf DisplayCharacter), New Object() {RxData})
    End Sub

But it wont display :c

PaulS

But it wont display

Are you sure that the method is even called?

If it is, why are you sleeping in the serial data callback? Doing so makes no sense.

pdasilva18

Is the VB source code available for SimPlot. I might like to modify. Will share any changes...

RjPrimer

How am i gonna re scale the plot for the Square Wave?

roweboat

Awesome work! We have been working on something very similar called MegunoLink. Does a similar job of monitoring and plotting arduino data. Can also log data and use it to upload hex files. Check it out at http://www.MegunoLink.com would love to hear any feature suggestions.

Brijesh

In short: You have made a great tool which allows fast (quickly installed and very basic code changes) and appropriate action.

Thanks a lot

Glad you found the tool useful. Sorry for late reply. I am having difficulty with new reply notifications. For some reason the message board does not send me notifications all the time.

apiet107

I am only sending 1 string of data -- I have the baud rate configured correctly but I am just getting the same character printed over and over again. Did not modify your code in anyway. Screenshot is attached.

Any help would be appreciated.

Brijesh

apiet,

You should send data in a proper packet, which has header and size. If you send any data without a packet then it just prints it to text area. This feature is there so that you can print helpful debug and other messages as well as plot data.

Please read the description of packet on the website and use the library that I have provided.

cheers

sriramv

Thank You, everybody on this forum! This kind of acted as an unofficial datasheet!  :)

Works great with PSoC too!  ]:D

Data packet (FOR SINGLE CHANNEL) from the PSoc should be sent as

(0xAB, 0xCD, 0x02, 0x00, DATA LSB, DATA MSB).

RoseOn92

Thank you for developing such a great tool.  :)
I have a question. Is it possible to plot float type data instead of integer?
As I tried to monitor a float type data (which is around 0.14-0.20) but Simplot kept on showing 0 which makes sense since it is integer type. Anyway I can tweak around to display a float type data?

Thanks in advance.

Go Up