Go Down

Topic: How to Set IN and OUT points via bluetooth instead of Joystick  (Read 357 times) previous topic - next topic

ChathuZ

Hi there,

I'm planning to build this camera slider with pan which set IN and OUT points are fed through a joystick. However, I need it to be mobilized and program it through an android app via Bluetooth without going back to the PC each time I need a new motion path.

Could someone help me out ?

1. I need to set the IN and OUT positions through an app
2. What do I need to plan ahead (hardware wise for example; should I go for Arduino Mega) if I were to use an additional motor for tilting as well ?

The original article is done by brainy-bits and here are the two links for the tutorial including the source code and video link

https://www.brainy-bits.com/dual-axis-camera-slider-using-joystick-in-and-out/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvP5xMOstus

Im a newbie to all of this so please bare with me. 

3Dgeo

Hello, Mr ChathuZ,

to control your slider via Bloetooth you need to have a pretty good coding skills.
If you are noob it can be a bit too complicated, but I'll give you guidelines:

What comes to hardware - all you need is a Bluetooth module, Hc-06 will work just fine. Nothing special on Microcontroler side - you can use basically any.
Coding is difficult part - you have to code Arduino to receive and execute commands via Bluetooth module from your Phone and you have to create Android APP to send commands via Bluetooth.
Look these tutorials for that:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XdSGU_W4ho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7FN3f9Y4yJI

If you can't make it with this information I gave - it means you are a bit too noob :)

jremington

There are lots of simple apps on Android for robot control using Bluetooth. With some, hardly any (if any) coding is required and should be easy to adapt to your camera slider project.

Google "android bluetooth robot control" for plenty of tutorials and project pages. Normally, Instructables are terrible and should be avoided like the plague, but this one is a surprisingly simple and useful example.

ChathuZ

If you can't make it with this information I gave - it means you are a bit too noob :)
:)  :)  Ha ha
Seems like its dijestible and Im willing to go ahead. Thank you for the links.

So no need of Arduino mega even if I add another motor ? What if I want to send the message to the slider and switch off my android device, it dosent have to talk back with it for cordinates ?

Sorry if Im asking lame questions, what if I were to use 2 x Nema17 and one Nema 23 motor with this setup ? Theyhave different current rates. I would just put an Arduino shield, right ?

Asking too many questions because id have to order everything online, wait three weeks for them to recieve. So if i miss anything its another three-four weeks lag.

ChathuZ

Normally, Instructables are terrible and should be avoided like the plague, but this one is a surprisingly simple and useful example.
Yep, most of them are crap. Thats how I ended up here looking for advice.

I will look into the one you provided and sure will search with robot control.

Thank you, jremington

3Dgeo

So no need of Arduino mega even if I add another motor ? What if I want to send the message to the slider and switch off my android device, it dosent have to talk back with it for cordinates ?

Sorry if Im asking lame questions, what if I were to use 2 x Nema17 and one Nema 23 motor with this setup ? Theyhave different current rates. I would just put an Arduino shield, right ?

Asking too many questions because id have to order everything online, wait three weeks for them to recieve. So if i miss anything its another three-four weeks lag.

You don't need other micro controller, Arduino has enough pins for another few motors.
Your mistake is that you think stepper motors gets their power from Arduino, it doesn't, motors get their power from stepper motor controller, Arduino sends only a logic signal to controller. so you don't have to worry about current limitation of Arduino, tho you have to buy stepper motor driver boards and power supply that can provide enough current for your motors.
If you don't need to get feedback from Arduino to your phone you can disconnect it, Arduino will work just fine and continue with the task.

I just googled those drivers you are using, are you really using „Easy Driver"? 700mA??? Those are garbage... :D

Heres a list of parts that you need:
For compact micro controller: Arduino Nano. Also you can go with Arduino Pro Mini, but you have to have FTDI programmer to program it.

Stepper motor drivers: DRV8825 for every motor you have (if motor below 2A).

Bluetooth module: Hc-06, buy Hc-05 instead if you can find it for a similar price.

+ power supply that can deliver current you need.

You are a big boy - I'm sure you can find them on Ali :)

I know the waiting pain while shipping from China, 3 weeks is kinda fast, sometimes I have to wait up to 2 moths...

ChathuZ

Thank you very much, 3Dgeo.

That was a big heads up with the driver DRV8825, as the motors are rated at 1.7A !

Right, now I know I can just send the program to the micro controller and never have to worry about it again. I would seriously love a feedback/alert on my battery level  of the slider though  :)  Just thinking too much ahead, LOL.

Yes, Im big enough to find them on Ali   :)

Two months waiting from China ? That's pretty bad !

Thanks again

3Dgeo

Thank you very much, 3Dgeo.

That was a big heads up with the driver DRV8825, as the motors are rated at 1.7A !

Right, now I know I can just send the program to the micro controller and never have to worry about it again. I would seriously love a feedback/alert on my battery level  of the slider though  :)  Just thinking too much ahead, LOL.

Yes, Im big enough to find them on Ali   :)

Two months waiting from China ? That's pretty bad !

Thanks again
Keep in mind that above 1.5A DRV8825 needs a heat sink.

What do you mean by writing "Right, now I know I can just send the program to the micro controller and never have to worry about it again. "? You mean it's a challenge for you to use Arduino Nano or Po Mini? If so coding everything will be waaaay out of your current knowledge level...
I can do it (and I will do it, more below...), but it would be a descent challenge even for myself, and I think I'm pretty good with code :)

For basic battery voltage monitoring you can use „voltage divider" made from resistors on one of the Arduino analog inputs, tho you have to do some math to make it work, google „voltage divider" ;) Or use dedicated chip...
You can even program Arduino to send battery status to your phone.

I wrote "and I will do it" cos I will, I'm actually using same components I recommended for you:
Arduino Pro Mini, 2 x DRV8825,  2 x Nema 17, Hc-06 module, 0.96" OLED, BMS and 4 x 18650 cells.
I'm making "panohead" for my camera for 360 panoramic images. working principle will be almost the same as yours - entering parameters via phones, press start and watch how she goes (Camera shutter will be controlled via Arduino as well). Tho this project on pause due to other, more urgent projects...

2 month on shipping is mostly caused by our lazy customs workers.... Thankfully it's not that ofter, usually 2-4 weeks.

ChathuZ

Yes, im gonna use the heat sinks and maybe a frced airflow using a small fan without draining the battery.

Well, coding isn't my forte, but Ive learnt things which are pretty new to me before so fingers crossed.

It would be nice if the battery level sent back to me when it goes below a certian level. Looked up the voltage devider and decided to go with a dedicated chip.

Too bad your project is on hold :-(
I think i too will look up shutter release with Arduino, star trails is something I always wanted to do.

Thanks for all the help

3Dgeo

What battery you are going to use?
Fan is a bit overkill in my opinion and it will drain battery.

You didn't understand how voltage divider works, did you? :D I bet your gonna nag the crap out of this forum when it comes to coding  :smiley-yell:

On my project I'm thinking replacing steppers with servos, they're lighter and smaller, but as I said, it's on hold.
For shutter you need simple optocouplers and limiting resistors to use them on Arduino 5V I/O pins.

Robin2

For receiving data on the Arduino have a look at the examples in Serial Input Basics - simple reliable ways to receive data. There is also a parse example to illustrate how to extract numbers from the received text.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

ChathuZ

What battery you are going to use?

I bet your gonna nag the crap out of this forum when it comes to coding  :smiley-yell:

On my project I'm thinking replacing steppers with servos, they're lighter and smaller, but as I said, it's on hold.

For shutter you need simple optocouplers and limiting resistors to use them on Arduino 5V I/O pins.
Not decided on the batteries yet, 18650 as you suggested maybe.

Nope, no clue about the voltage devider. Ill just thank god for having you all generous people there to help me :-)

Servos ? Will they handle the requred torque ? DSLR with all the mechanical parts ?

Shutter release would be too much for me to think at this stage :-)

ChathuZ

For receiving data on the Arduino have a look at the examples in Serial Input Basics - simple reliable ways to receive data. There is also a parse example to illustrate how to extract numbers from the received text.

...R
Already read you stepper motor basics and WOW!
Nice write up there. Will read this as well.

Is there a place I can find all the "Basics" of yours ?

Cheers

Robin2

Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Go Up