Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Need help on what battery to choose for my project  (Read 624 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Im designing a project with a pump that Im using for watering of plants. I need to power the arduino and the pump with some kind of battery and Im thinking about a motorcycle battery. Is that a good choice or should I choose some other one?
This is the pump Im using:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200581586750&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D200581586750%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Get whatever you need for the pump, and then a switching regulator to make 5V for the arduino.
check www.pololu.com, they have a bunch.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Kentucky
View Profile

A 12v motorcycle battery is a pretty good choice.  Another added benefit is that you can buy some pretty cheap solar panels to add charge to them.  I'm all about renewable energy.  Besides, you don't want to have to trickle-charge a fountain every couple of days.  There are some solars that clip right onto the battery without any fancy wiring needed.  Not to mention those batteries are portable, rechargeable, and last a MEGA long time for house-oriented electrical projects.

"I'll save you!"  (Promptly dies)

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Be  aware that vehicle batteries are typically not deep-cycle - they are designed to be kept fully charged all the time with occasional very high current drain.  Deep cycle batteries are designed to be discharged all the way repeatedly and will have a much better life than typical vehicle batteries for such use - however if the battery has plenty of capacity then you won't be deep cycling it anyway...  Assume the nominal capacity to decrease with age anyway.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: