Go Down

Topic: Help with a Computer Technology Project (Read 387 times) previous topic - next topic

Robin2

What is a "summative"? I have not seen the word before?

For receiving serial data (with Bluetooth, or otherwise) have a look at the examples in Serial Input Basics - simple reliable ways to receive data.

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

Thanks I'll be sure to look over it. Summatives are basically final projects, in my case 15% of my grade for the course depends on it.

I read it over and am still confused, If I were to send the integer 2 for example. Would it receive it as 2 or as 2 bytes 10? I think I might run all the commands through strings and have the strings be compared to simplify things. Also the feature serial.readString() was not mentioned so I was wondering whether I was using it correctly. I am still unsure as to what changes I should make in my code.

Robin2

I read it over and am still confused, If I were to send the integer 2 for example. Would it receive it as 2 or as 2 bytes 10?
I don't know where you got the concept of two bytes with 10.

My code examples assume you send the character '2'

...R
Two or three hours spent thinking and reading documentation solves most programming problems.

I was sending the integer 2. Currently I changed it to strings which I send. If that fails I will change to characters.

With the changes made it works. I honestly have such a feeling of happiness coming over me I can not express it. Is this what it feels to meet success after weeks of working on a project?

Willpatel_Kendmirez

Jan 13, 2019, 05:37 am Last Edit: Jan 13, 2019, 07:20 am by Willpatel_Kendmirez Reason: image added
What is a "summative"? I have not seen the word before?

Short for "summative assessment", and occurs at the end of some educational endeavour (a unit, a module, a term, a year, a degree, whatever.). In contrast, assessments during such endeavours (eg, in-class exercises, "normal" homework) are known as "formative").

So the idea is that the "formative" assessments check a student's progress during the course, allowing for remedial action if required, and the "summative" is pretty much the "exam"(to use a word most of usare probably more familiar with).

The summative assessment measures the student against the stated learning objectives of the endevour, using some rubric with a bunch of criteria down the side and levels of how well each was met across the top.

Willpatel_Kendmirez

Is this what it feels to meet success after weeks of working on a project?
Indeed it is.

(Although in theory you should feel (have felt) smaller frequent happy feelings through the weeks, not one huge one at the end, as you made steady incremental progress on elements of the project.)

Well done though: often with these things it feels like you get nowhere for ages and then it all starts to fall into place.

Much as I hate cliches, the one that comes to mind here is "How do you eat an elephant?" Answer, "One bite at a time."

Willpatel_Kendmirez

I can only say that is an "interesting" approach to teaching!
It is yes, but nevertheless a legitimate approach to learning, provided there is sufficient acknowledgement of a forum in the bibliography and credits in the code, just like any other source.

Robin2

With the changes made it works. I honestly have such a feeling of happiness coming over me I can not express it. Is this what it feels to meet success after weeks of working on a project?
Good to hear it.

It is possible to write Arduino code that receives integers but it is a bit more complicated and is certainly harder to debug.

...R

Go Up