Go Down

Topic: 16x32 led with max7219 (Read 882 times) previous topic - next topic

joaoramalhinho

hello all

I'm building an led array of 16x32 led with max7219 and arduino uno. Is it possible when coding to tell that is an 16x32 matrix and not 8x64? It would be very useful using sprites :S. Thank you.

CrossRoads

Read the datasheet, see what it says, then you'll know for sure.
The 7219 can drive 64 LEDs: one 8x8 display, or up to 8 seven segment+decimal point displays.
You are multiplexing it across 8 displays to get 16 high x 32 across?
8x8, 8x8, 8x8, 8x8
8x8, 8x8, 8x8, 8x8
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

joaoramalhinho

Yep thats right but my question is, when coding sprites they will appear in the led matrix as if I have an 64x8 led matrix and not an 32x16. What I want to know is if there is some declaration in the codding to say that the matrix is 32x16 not 64x8... the matrix is assembled I'm just trying to do the best with it the easiest way. Thank you : )

CrossRoads

Got me there. I just wrote my own statements to write the registers when I had a digit to update. You've got a lot fancier activity going on.
But, since I presume you control the hardware that controls the multiplexing, you can control the process to make it go across all 4 and then down for the next four, or to make it go column 1, column 2, column 3, column 4 ??
You must have the equivalent of 8 chip selects coming from a hardware demux? Organize them to suit your needs.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Go Up