Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: BootLoader not installed?  (Read 513 times)
Toronto, Canada
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I purchased a new ATmega328 to replace the one i removed from my UNO to install my completed project but it is not working correctly.
I was told that the new chip already had the boodLoader burned onto it.
When I install and power it up the Pin13 LED does not flash as it should and I cannot download any new sketches.
I get this error.

avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_disable(): protocol error, expect=0x14, resp=0x51

Here are my assumptions;
- It is not my Arduino because when i reinstall the original chip everything works correctly.

Can anyone tell me if I can do any of the following and how?

- Can i check if the bootloader is installed and not corrupt?
- Can i overwrite the existing bootloader?
- Can i burn the bootloader using the Arduino? I can't find clear instructions on how to do it.

Spark

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

- Can i check if the bootloader is installed and not corrupt?

Having a bootloader installed or not is part of the question, the other being which 328 bootloader was used as there are now a Uno bootloader as well as the prior 328 Duemilanove bootloader. I don't think many vendors supplying 328 with bootloaders are using the Uno bootloader yet. First thing I would have you try is to select the Duemilanove board from the IDE board selection menu and try and do a upload and see if that works. Those two bootloaders use different baudrate speeds, but either bootloader will work for either board, if that makes sense? You have to select the Uno board only if the 328 has the Uno bootloader, otherwise you have to select the Duemilanove board if it has the Duemilanove bootloader installed.

- Can i overwrite the existing bootloader?

Yes, with a hardware ISP programmer, or a working arduino board loaded with the arduionISP sketch.

- Can i burn the bootloader using the Arduino? I can't find clear instructions on how to do it.

There have been many posts on doing that, but it can be quite confusing. But first you have to have a functioning board that can be uploaded to before you can use it as a ISP programmer. I can't provide detailed instructions as I use a USBtiny from ADAfruit to burn bootloaders.

Lefty

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 11:03:44 am by retrolefty » Logged

Toronto, Canada
View Profile

Good call Lefty,

selecting Duemilanove did the trick.

U da besht!

Spark

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: