Go Down

Topic: Voltage Regulators (LM7805) & Capacitors (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic

CrossRoads

"Based on everyone's feedback, I'm guessing that the Caps really wouldn't make-or-break the circuit at all in this scenario"

True enough - if you are seeing the arduino get upset (like resetting itself) when the door strike thing engages, that's  a sign that current into the 7805 is being pulled away, and you need a bigger cap feeding the arduino VCC to keep it alive.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

James C4S

Capacitors are an interesting device.  Nobody cares about them until they matter.  (e.g. the circuit stops working because of the cap.)

Trust me, I know.  I work for a Capacitor company.  ;)
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

CrossRoads

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

westfw

I can't seem to open the schematic without paying

You can't see the additional images on a page of an Instructable without signing up, but you do NOT have get the "pro" (paid) account to do so (the free account should work fine.  At least mine does; I don't think it's grandfathered...)

Go Up