IDE 0022 Serial monitor bug?

14400 and 28800 shows garbage. All other settings are OK.
This is IDE issue, when monitoring serial port with other software, data looks normal.
Example sketch:

void setup() {
Serial.begin(14400);
}

void loop() {
Serial.println("Test");
delay(20);
}

Example of garbage output:

f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n f×n

OS Windows XP SP3, processor Intel P4 2.8GHz, RAM 2 Gb; board Ard.Duemilanove, chip 328 (the same with 168)
FTDI Driver 5/19/2006 ver.2.0.0.0

I have had a few issues with the serial monitor acting up - I wonder if it's anything to do with the modified txrx dll that I (and many others) installed to sort out the slow loading.

Switched to latest available FTDI driver 3/18/2011 2.8.14.0 with no result :frowning:

Is this with an un-modified version of the IDE?
Have you tried a different version to see if you still see the issue?

I am not aware of what 'modified IDE' is; I just downloaded arduino-0022.zip, unzipped it and ran arduino.exe
The same result I had with IDE 0017.

I am not aware of what 'modified IDE' is

Well the answer will be no then :stuck_out_tongue:

Hmm, I haven't heard of this problem on 0017.

If you have the board set to 14400, does it work on any other settings (wrong baud rates) in the IDE serial monitor?

No, no other speed settings convert garbage into text.
But I have noticed that when I use Serial.begin(9600) (serial output is OK at IDE setting 9600), I still can see this output when I switch serial monitor to 14400. This happens only on 9600. Any other board rates only produce correct output when serial monitor is set to matching speed.
Just tried the same on a different computer, Windows 7, IDE 0022. Same bug.

Have you checked your serial port settings in device manager?
8 Data bits, No parity, 1 Stop bit and No flow control

Yessir!
As I said, I can see correct output on 14400 when using 'third party' serial port monitor.
This is obviously the bug of Arduino IDE.

Yeah - just trying to check all angles as I haven't seen this one before.

Can you try it yourself in similar environment?

Edit: Yeah I'll try it

Just open new sketch, copy the code from first message, upload and enjoy :slight_smile:

Works fine here for 14400 and 28800 - on the Arduino IDE and X-CTU serial monitor and PUTTY serial monitor.

I suspect that it's a USB cable issue or a board connection issue and the arduino IDE serial monitor is simply less resilient to noise or something than better alternative serial monitors.

Not sure why it would only occur at those baud rates but I'm pretty sure now it's not an IDE issue specifically.

Definitely not a cable, just tried another one, brand new with same result. Well, then it is only one reason: my board :frowning:
Probably some glitch in communication chip. Unfortunately, I don't have another board to compare. But it also proves Arduino serial monitor is not 'resilient' enough compared to every other serial monitors:(
Thanks for your time, man!

Thanks for your time, man!

No problem.

Reminds me of some of the bugs and workarounds in the ATmega chip datasheets.
"Something doesn't function below x volts"
Fix/workaround:
"Operate above x volts"
:smiley:

So the solution is to use another serial monitor or simply don't use 14400 or 28800. I can't say I've ever used those weird baud rates before...