Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Author Topic: Duemilanove pin compatible with Mega?  (Read 1660 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

I'm new to Arduino and currently working on a DIY Solar PV. I found http://www.timnolan.com/index.php?page=arduino-ppt-solar-charger which I would like to build as a Arduino starting point then try my own design and code to make a Solar tracker with some linear actuators.

Onto my question. The above site based the design on the Arduino Duemilanove development board with a Arduino Protoshield Kit. Now I'm aware there is a newer Arduino called mega. Can I use the mega instead with the same code and Protoshield or are they not compatible with each other?

I have had a quick look at the tutorials and feel I can grasp this despite others saying I really need some C/C++ knowledge what do you guys think? I program in perl/javascript/xhtml currently and from what I have seen it look much like javascript/java.

Thanks in advance  smiley-grin

Red Sea, Saudi Arabia
God Member
..On The Red Sea
View Profile

Hi,

The Mega is physically larger, but there are proto boards specifically for it.  Mega runs same code, but has more memory.

Or you might use this Mega compatible that is built on the original Arduino board size/pinout but adds the other pins etc...
http://arduino-direct.com/sunshop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=154

DISCLAIMER: I mentioned stuff from my own Shop...

Regards, Terry King  ..On the Red Sea at KAUST.edu.sa
terry@yourduino.com  LEARN! DO! (Arduino Boards, Sensors, Parts @ http://yourduino.com

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

Hi,

The Mega is physically larger, but there are proto boards specifically for it.  Mega runs same code, but has more memory.

Or you might use this Mega compatible that is built on the original Arduino board size/pinout but adds the other pins etc...

So you're the guy from the YourDuino shop... I mailed you! smiley-razz

Hi,

I'm new to Arduino and currently working on a DIY Solar PV. I found http://www.timnolan.com/index.php?page=arduino-ppt-solar-charger which I would like to build as a Arduino starting point then try my own design and code to make a Solar tracker with some linear actuators.

Onto my question. The above site based the design on the Arduino Duemilanove development board with a Arduino Protoshield Kit. Now I'm aware there is a newer Arduino called mega. Can I use the mega instead with the same code and Protoshield or are they not compatible with each other?

I have had a quick look at the tutorials and feel I can grasp this despite others saying I really need some C/C++ knowledge what do you guys think? I program in perl/javascript/xhtml currently and from what I have seen it look much like javascript/java.

Thanks in advance  smiley-grin

You do need to see from shield to shield. The clearest example of pins not being compatible between Arduino products (Uno, duemilanove and Mega) is the Ethernet shield. The Mega hasn't got the SPI pins on the same place. The YourDuino (and Seeeduino Mega) do have them in the right place.

From that shield I guess you need to verify if the PWM and ADC pins are in the same place as your Mega board, or buy one of the Yourduino boards.

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

View Profile

Hi,

Then I think I will go for the mega or the compatible smaller one depending on delivery since I'm in the UK. By the way, I read some of your posts last night which lead me to your site. I like your teaching style!  smiley

Red Sea, Saudi Arabia
God Member
..On The Red Sea
View Profile

"By the way, I read some of your posts last night which lead me to your site. I like your teaching style!  "

Thanks! I am at the point where I have a fantasy of what the site could and should be.. but I think there are 2 or 3 hundred hours to go...  I want specific examples of a lot more sensors and actuators...

Have fun with Arduino!

terry@yourduino.com  LEARN! DO! (Arduino Boards, Sensors, Parts @ http://yourduino.com

View Profile

Changed my mind, I placed an order for Duemilanove clone on the basis I can remove the uC to make a perm PCB. Few supplies and add ons while I was ordering too. No doubt see me here again as soon as I get my package...

Red Sea, Saudi Arabia
God Member
..On The Red Sea
View Profile

That's a good approach, I think...

I need to find a good source of ATMEAG328's and burn bootloaders on them....   The DIP versions are in short supply...

View Profile

I would have purchased some if you did. Nevertheless I was very happy what was available and the prices seem more than reasonable, a blank clone proto board for $2.50 vs $10 equivalent from UK suppliers. Just have to see if Customs bump the price up.

Red Sea, Saudi Arabia
God Member
..On The Red Sea
View Profile

...Just have to see if Customs bump the price up.

Please let (us) know what you find out from UK Customs.  Arduino is a world-wide collaboration and we need to understand how much government gets in the middle of this.

I know Europe (Netherlands is especially fussy, even charging customs on SHIPPING!)  is different....

Anyone with wider knowledge please comment!

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

Please let (us) know what you find out from UK Customs. 

+1

I want to get the quad oscilloscope from Seeed and I'm still thinking wether to order it to be delivered in Singapore when I go there or on the UK back home because of tax.

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

View Profile

Please let (us) know what you find out from UK Customs. 

I have ordered many things internationally but UK Custom duty does seem to be hit and miss. Small packages are generally ok. Boxes seem much more at risk of being selected. What irritates me is there is no way of knowing what they may charge, I'd be very surprised if the shipping was taxed too however.

I'm expecting, if chosen no more than 20% of the product price, plus no doubt an "admin" fee for DHL.

RE the oscilloscope, even if collected from Singapore I'd guess it was at a high risk of being picked up if they x-ray that in your suit case...

View Profile

Been doing some digging, I think the parts from China to UK are duty exempt. So should just get VAT added. As a guide this is what i have worked out for the UK

None EU (china) to UK, over £135 import Duty applies, although I think this commodity is exempt anyway as per Goods nomenclature code: 8542319000[1]. Additionally, over £18 VAT @ 20% applies unless marked as a gift then over £40 VAT applies.

Shipping: Netherlands is a EU member so same rules apply there as they do in the UK. Whether shipping is included in the total depends on how the Seller/Shipper/Exporter bills the shipping. If seller pays shipping it's exempt, if buyer arranges and/or pays for shipping it's included. Therefore if the paperwork is marked 'Delivered Duty Paid' then this means the seller has paid for shipping so it wont be included. Alternatively if marked 'Delivered Duty Unpaid' then the buyer will get a hit at customs. See http://www.ukimports.org for more info on all the above

[1]nomenclature code: 8542319000 - Processors and controllers, whether or not combined with memories, converters, logic circuits, amplifiers, clock and timing circuits, or other circuits

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

RE the oscilloscope, even if collected from Singapore I'd guess it was at a high risk of being picked up if they x-ray that in your suit case...

Do you get stopped by carrying a PSP on your suit case? Or would you carry it in the suit case for that matter?

This is the scope I'm planning to get:
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/preorder-dso-quad-4-channel-digital-storage-oscilloscope-p-736.html?cPath=174

See what I'm saying? smiley-wink

View Profile

Do you get stopped by carrying a PSP on your suit case?

Like I said, depending on the size. I thought I said depending on the size  smiley-red I assumed it was a desktop beast. I guess you will be able to get away with that one... ;-)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:53:05 am by dannix » Logged

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

It's actually my fault. 99.9% of the oscilloscopes would be stopped in customs (if carried in the suit case). There's a few that manage to fit in a carry on bag though.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Jump to: