Go Down

Topic: Soldering the top layer from the bottom layer question (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

jondecker76

I'm about complete with designing my first circuit (using eagle), and I'm about to etch my first PCB.  There are a few places where I will had to use the top layer, despite trying to keep it all on the bottom layer (which I could probably do by soldering jumper wires, but how much fun would that be?)

After printing out my trace masks, I noticed a problem..  A few of my top layer pads will be under some terminal blocks, which will sit flush on the board, so obviously I won't be able to solder them from the top..  If I solder these from the bottom pad, will the solder flow up through the hole and make a connection to the (more important) top pad?  Or should I re-design the layout a bit to use either jumper wires, or use vias to complete the route?

thanks!

graynomad

If I solder these from the bottom pad, will the solder flow up through the hole and make a connection to the (more important) top pad?

Very unlikely, and if it doesn't you are stuffed.

Normally with home made boards you have a via just next to the pin. Too late for that now though.

I wouldn't do another board because there will probably be other bugs so you'll be doing another one anyway. What about doing this.

Drill the holes slightly over size if the pins are round (normal size if they are square), then get a very fine piece of wire (say a single strand from a multi-strand wire), solder that to the top track somewhere then poke it through the hole. Insert the terminal block and solder the bottom including the wire.

The block will sit up a fraction but not enough to worry you I wouldn't think.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Go Up