Go Down

Topic: 3.3 volt and 5.0 volt Freeduino Hybrid (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

Jonathan Oxer

One other unique thing about this board is that you can use both surface mount or through hole parts for most of the components

That's a very cool idea that I'd like to see done more often. Luke Weston has designed a few boards that way, including the MobSenDat (Mobile Sensor Datalogger) that used hybrid footprints to allow either SMT or PTH for most parts:

http://www.freetronics.com/mobsendat
--
Jon
Arduino Shield List: www.shieldlist.org

Jeff K

Thanks for the feedback.  After designing this I decided to make any future through hole boards also surface mount compatible.  It just makes sense to do if there is room and helps the design have a longer lifespan.

I personally prefer assembling boards where all the passives are surface mount.  It seems to go a lot faster for me and there is a lot less waste.  Although I haven't gone smaller than 0805 yet for manual assembly.

I'm also hoping to do some more 3.3V stuff in the future... maybe a 3.3V (or less) adapter shield or something.
Jeff K - JKDevices.com - home of the MegaMini

Jonathan Oxer

I personally prefer assembling boards where all the passives are surface mount

Likewise, and often when using prototyping shields I use 0603 or 0805 parts straight across the grid. Works brilliantly, and results in a very clean board with high part density. I also often substitute SMT parts on PCBs that aren't designed for it: any part that's set up on a 0.1" footprint (such as PTH resistors mounted vertically, or ceramic capacitors) can just be replaced with an SMT version.
--
Jon

mmcp42

looks good
are the larger SMD components already installed? (2 plus 2 regulators??)
there are only 10 types of people
them that understands binary
and them that doesn't

Jeff K

are the larger SMD components already installed? (2 plus 2 regulators??)

Yes they are... along with the LED's for the FT232 and a resistor for the level shifter.

Also I just finished building up all the boards so currently they are only available as fully assembled.  But I have another batch of boards coming in that will include some silkscreen fixes.
Jeff K - JKDevices.com - home of the MegaMini

Go Up