Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: SPI multi master  (Read 3648 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello friends,

thanks for all the input!

Nick:
I agree that the master/slave definition in this case is a little off, but usually the one who initiates the communication would be called the master which is why I chose the above labeling.

I did some tests with I2C but it wasn't fast enough for the application I had in mind.

Graynomad:
missing a reading now and then will not be a problem as long as it doesn't happen too often.
Basically it is a low resolution large sensor array that will track objects and since I am aiming for high sampling rate an occasional lost or corrupt reading will be updated soon during the next cycle (or can even be corrected through interpolation on the software side).
So as long as it is the exception to miss a reading it won't matter.

[side note: I am aware that there seem to be a lot of different or "better" approaches like using cmos-sensors, cameras etc. but this design has been chosen for specific reasons and cannot be replaced]

CrossRoads:
Thank you very much for the schematics, it looks very interesting.

I think I will first try to reduce the total amount of modules in the system and then see if I can get this synchronization to work.

Thanks again for all the input, it is much appreciated! smiley
Have a nice weekend!
Tom

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

I did some tests with I2C but it wasn't fast enough for the application I had in mind.

I was merely suggesting that I2C should be used to send a single byte (which would be fast) to notify the "central CPU" that the "peripheral" had data. After that you could use SPI for the actual transfer.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

low resolution large sensor array
Then if you can drop to 8-bits that will double the speed or more.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: