Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Done to death or interesting ?  (Read 1939 times)
Sydney, Australia
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Guys, I have not posted to any forum before, though I have been tinkering with Arduino for a while in isolation.
I am puting a project together for my own interest, It will be based on Arduino pro Mini [5V for now] and XBee.
I am asking if there is any interest in what I am doing or if it has been done to death. If there is an interest I can make the details avaialble, if not I wont bother anyone...

Basically I am developing a remote sensor unit that will use the DHT22 Temp and humidity sensor and the TEMT6000 lght sensor, It will use a solar rechargable power supply [MPS430] of 3V3 and step it up to 5 V, monitor the 3V3 supply and the step up 5V supply and report back wirelessley to a central unit. Ideally there will be many remote sensors to a central unit and each collection [or site] will have a unique id to distinguish it from other potential sites.
I have used onewire devices previously and may include them, though undecided at this stage.
I am currently looking into designing a simple wireless comms protocol at the moment and am working through a few options.

Eventualy  the central unit will update/manage a local web page with the resulting data. Not sure yet what platform the central unit will be on.
The idea is a local environmental monitor that can be accessed from your home PC or ITouch. I don't intend to accomplish this in the next few weeks as I have a family, and a day job that can extend into a night job from time to time but I wont let it drag on forever either.
Any suggestions, requests, hints or comments welcome.
FYI I source the major components from Little Bird Electronics in Sydney, though they are likely available elsewhere.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

Basically I am developing a remote sensor unit that will use the DHT22 Temp and humidity
Written a small library for that one - http://arduino.cc/playground/Main/DHTLib - and I am interested to hear if it works on the proMini (should work in theory but ...).

For the light sensor I only found a link to the datasheet - http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet2/1/037uup9lyrzdh1ayjsxwl5epueky.pdf - no Arduino sketches so you might be the first smiley

How large is the area you want to cover with the sensors?

-- update --
check - http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8688 - for some easy tutorial how to use the light sensor.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 07:07:36 am by robtillaart » Logged

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

Sydney, Australia
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks for the reply robtillaart. Currently I have the DHT22 running on the mini using the library from Ben Adams:
  DHT22.cpp - DHT22 sensor library, Developed by Ben Adams - 2011
This Library does have a lot of possible error and return codes and restrictions on polling rates which your library does not seem to have. I will put it on my list of things to check out.

The area for the sensors was basically aroung the house [inside and outside] and yard, though there are different XBee modules to choose from depending on your needs. I was going to start with the low power version for now, thus a few hundred feet. I was going to allow a nice binary number of sensors in the design, say 32 [5 bit address] to talk to a single control unit.

Thanks for your suggestions, I know I am not breaking new ground here just thought it might be interesting for some members.

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

DHT22.cpp - DHT22 sensor library, Developed by Ben Adams - 2011
Do you have an URL?  I want to learn more

Rob Tillaart

Sydney, Australia
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I believe it was  "https://github.com/nethoncho/Arduino-DHT22#readme"

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
View Profile

Thanks looks good, Ben Adams lib has indeed more tests and return values. Very usefull.

Rob Tillaart

Arduino rocks
View Profile

tdrew,
   Just wanted to let you know that I'd be interested, I don't think there is such a thing as to many examples or tutorials. I learn a lot reading over how other people did stuff.

Thanks,
 -Matt

Sydney, Australia
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Matt. sorry I have been a bit busy else where but trying to get back to my project.
I have all the sensors collecting data with an Arduino pro mini + Xbee, I hooked in an I2C RGB led just for fun and am running a second serial port for debug, while the first talks to the Xbee. It is getting there but needs work still. It also talks to the Dallas OneWire temp sensor.

I am also starting on an EtherTen with an Xbee to collect the stats and the idea being it will act as a  web server for the results. I haven't got all of that look/feel stuff worked out, just trying to get the functionality all there. I had visions of grandeur in creating an iPhone app to display the results but it might just be too much for me at the moment.
I have some issues getting the SD Card on the EtherTen to work.

Sydney, Australia
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I have sorted my issues with the SD Card, just downloaded sdfatlib20110702 and all is good now. Full steam ahead ....
Time permitting  smiley

Sydney, Australia
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Now I have performance concerns for the main coordinator device [EtherTen], so I am considering changing to the NetDuinoPlus. I have bought the book, The Internet Of Things, and  I am working my way through. I hope it will have sufficient grunt to look after a few remote sensors and serve up web pages with reasonable performance once I get the hang of the .net development environment.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: