Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: What are my PIC options for UNO?  (Read 1327 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi, I'm kind of new so I don't know much but I was wondering what PIC's are compatible with the arduino uno.  Also if anyone knows any good smaller PICs that can hold up to around 5000 bytes of code for the smallest size chip, I want to save some codes on chips to make permanent projects.

http://www.sparkfun.com/products/8308
do you think I can program this chip through the uno board?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 12:47:16 pm by Agent_47 » Logged

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

PICs are a completely different processor family.
They are also not pin-compatible.

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

View Profile

So pretty much the only chip I can use on the arduino uno board is the atmega328 and nothing else

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

ON the board, yes.  But you can use your Arduino Uno as an "in-circuit serial programmer" to program almost any AVR processor including some 8 pin ones.

View Profile

ON the board, yes.  But you can use your Arduino Uno as an "in-circuit serial programmer" to program almost any AVR processor including some 8 pin ones.

How do I make it an i"n-circuit serial programmer"?

Update: I found this http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/devicedoc/30277d.pdf is this basically telling me how to do it?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 01:51:48 pm by Agent_47 » Logged

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

How do I make it an i"n-circuit serial programmer"?

http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/ArduinoISP

View Profile

So if i connect the right pins to another board like a breadboard with any PIC on it I can program it through the uno board?

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

I'm guessing from your question that you don't know what an "AVR processor" is.

The Arduino is based on Atmel AVR 8 bit processors.  As far as I know, there is very very little Arduino support for Microchip PIC processors.  The bad news is that you will have a difficult time using Arduino software or hardware with a PIC processor.

The good news is that whatever you are trying to accomplish with a PIC processor you will very likely be able to do with an AVR processor.

In other words, I suggest that you focus less on the processor vendor (Microchip versus Atmel) and more on what you want to accomplish (and resign yourself to using Atmel  smiley-grin).

View Profile

I'm guessing from your question that you don't know what an "AVR processor" is.

The Arduino is based on Atmel AVR 8 bit processors.  As far as I know, there is very very little Arduino support for Microchip PIC processors.  The bad news is that you will have a difficult time using Arduino software or hardware with a PIC processor.

The good news is that whatever you are trying to accomplish with a PIC processor you will very likely be able to do with an AVR processor.

In other words, I suggest that you focus less on the processor vendor (Microchip versus Atmel) and more on what you want to accomplish (and resign yourself to using Atmel  smiley-grin).

I get it things are clearer now, thanks!

'round the world...
Faraday Member
View Profile

You mean this?

http://www.ciseco.co.uk/content/?p=1315

Too limited, when compared to the Arduino.

Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

You mean this?

Actually, no.  I vaguely recall a different PIC based board a bit more Arduino-ish.

Portugal
God Member
View Profile

You can also put an atmega168P, the difference is that is has 16Kb of flash an 1Kb of RAM and I think it only has 512 bytes of EEPROM.

Zapopan, Mexico
View Profile

Hi,

There is  an Arduino like board called Pinguino which uses Microchip Pic (18f2550, 18f4550 and recently a PIC32). Here is the link for you to take a look at it http://jpmandon.blogspot.com/

In the other hand if you need an smaller chip(less legs) you can go with the ATtiny45 (4Kb) or the ATtiny85(8Kb).  This chips are compatible with Arduino and are great for small projects.

Regards.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: