Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Wake on LAN device  (Read 3785 times)
Sydney, Australia
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi huys,

Even though this may not appear to be an Arduino question, perhaps the only solution is with an Ethernet Shield...

The problem:
I have a PC that is connected using WLAN, that is tucked away in a cabinet that I need to keep on. Wake On Lan (WOL) would be a great solution, but wireless WOL is not available.

Fortunately, there is an unused ethernet port on the PC that supports WOL....(wiring up to the main network isn't possible, but having a little device near the PC is OK)

So, question is:
Does anyone know of a device that exists that does nothing but send broadcast WOL signals over ethernet? Would the Ethernet Shield be a good candidate for such a device? The library doesn't seem too compatible with what I'm attempting, or is it?

I would envisage that the arduino would be externally powered and just sends broadcast WOL packets ever (?) seconds/minutes. (I could even connect the USB to the arduino and tell it to stop broadcasting after ? minutes once the PC is up and running again....)

...Or any other suggestions? Again, all I really want to achieve is to power the PC on if it's off! (PS: the PC's BIOS has absolutely no ACPI settings other than WOL)

Many thanks,
Craig.

Arlington, MA, USA
View Profile

You can't configure the PC OS to not go into Sleep mode?  smiley-eek

Sydney, Australia
View Profile

You can't configure the PC OS to not go into Sleep mode?  smiley-eek
The device will always be on, so sleep is already disabled. My problem is that I need to turn the machine on after an occasional power loss, during the night.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

The device will always be on, so sleep is already disabled. My problem is that I need to turn the machine on after an occasional power loss, during the night.

You didn't provide your OS, but my windows machines reboot upon a power loss.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Sydney, Australia
View Profile

You didn't provide your OS, but my windows machines reboot upon a power loss.
Thanks, but the PC doesn't reboot. I am aware of OS and BIOS capabilities: be assured that I wouldn't have asked this question otherwise  smiley

You see, the only other alternative I think of is to use a UPS and then use an external monitoring company (such as www.hyperspin.com) to monitor when the PC is not responding to external pings. It would work, but it would involve me putting on my slippers, getting in a car and then driving to the PC's location, just to press a power button, which seems rather ridiculous to me.

So, the question is WOL and a WOL device....?

United States (Texas)
God Member
Arduino socks
View Profile

its not windows that controls that, its the bios. check for a resume after power loss entry.

Sydney, Australia
View Profile

its not windows that controls that, its the bios. check for a resume after power loss entry.

Please, not trying to sound ungrateful for any help....but is there any chance it can be assumed that I know that the BIOS does not have the setting and that the computer itself isn't capable to turn itself on after power loss? As I metioned, there are no ACPI/APM/Power settings other than WOL.

So, the question is WOL and a WOL device....?

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

WOL won't start a PC that is all the way off, will it?
It's probably easier to tie the arduino to the PC power switch or keyboard port.

United States (Texas)
God Member
Arduino socks
View Profile

another option is a modem. some computers have a  wake on ring control, and a ring signal is dead easy to make compared to a wake on lan packet.

Arlington, MA, USA
View Profile

There is the issue of whether you can wake it from a powered down state, but if so, there might be something here of use:

http://www.engbedded.com/wake-on-lirc

I apologize if not, just came across it earlier today for a completely different reason and thought of this thread.

Sydney, Australia
View Profile

It's probably easier to tie the arduino to the PC power switch or keyboard port.

Perhaps this is the only 'real' solution, I was hoping to be able to avoid it if possible, but I suspect you are correct.

Thanks all for your suggestions, also the modem/serial port solutions. I think I might do as you suggest: wire up to the power switch itself.

View Profile

Does anyone know of a device that exists that does nothing but send broadcast WOL signals over ethernet?
Hi Craig,

i have similar situation here.
want to power up computers ( not only desktops) in a office by sending them a Wake on LAN signal.
powerfailure is an isue here, too.
the device i am looking for  should start running when power is available (no switch to press to power on).
and then wait for a trigger ( timer or external command like incomming GSM SMS) till it sends WOL to all the machines .

do you have a solution up and running ?

Things i found: :
 http://rototron.info/WOL/WOL.aspx
( single purpose hardware , as i understand, but english is not my native tongue.
and it s DIY,  )
or  perhaps
http://shop.tuxgraphics.org/electronic/detail_avrwebserver_smd4.html
with modified software.

please write what you think about it.

Terry

God Member
Get Bitlash: http://bitlash.net
View Profile

The EtherShield library for the Arduino-compatible Nanode comes with a wake-on-lan client example that seems to do what you want.  Caveat: I haven't tried it.

More on the Nanode here: http://nanode.eu/

More on the EtherShield library here: https://github.com/thiseldo/EtherShield

-br
http://bitlash.net

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: