Go Down

Topic: Serial port ARDUINO NANO (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

nas2b

Hi all !

Firstly excuse me for my bad english..

I have a little problem, i programmed my arduinio nano v3 with mini USB and my program work normaly but only when i use the USB connection ( integrated in the arduino, i have just to put my USB wire ). :)

My application is a compass who are connected at the arduino with i²c bus, and arduino give me 3 values like : "33 -66 34"; with usb connection i have no problem but with RS232 connection ( Tx, Rx and ground ) the response are like : x97\x00\xab\x2e\xac\x66\xga\xab....... =( ; And with RS232 connection i can't update my arduino

Tha data rate are corectly configured, flow control also.. :smiley-roll-sweat:

Do you know what is the problem ? :smiley-roll:

CrossRoads

If you are trying to connect RS232 to the RX/TX lines, you need to invert them.
RS232 use a High level to indicate nothing is going on, then a Low indicates a Start Bit has occured and data is starting.

The Aruino Rx/Tx lines use a Low level when nothing is going on, and Start Bit goes high.

So you need to invert the levels.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

nas2b

Thank you for your reply.

But RS232 have just 1 protocol ? no ? i knew a problem could be the high logic level TTL or 3.3v but arduino give a high level TTL and it's the first time i hear this problem...

So i will try it, do you know any components who can do it ?

thanks a lot !

retrolefty

The Aruino Rx/Tx lines use a Low level when nothing is going on, and Start Bit goes high.

I believe you have that backwards. TTL serial uses true logic, a data bit is true high and a stop bit is equal to a data bit high and a start bit is equal to a data bit low, so the idle condition ("nothing going on") on a serial link is at a continous high (stop condition) waiting for the next start bit low.

Lefty

CrossRoads

Lefty,
I'm gonna have to pull out myscope & check again.
Maybe the device I was talking to was putting out TTL serial (low = nothing happening) and I had to invert coming in to see good data. I had worked that out last August.
Robert
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

retrolefty

Lefty,
I'm gonna have to pull out myscope & check again.
Maybe the device I was talking to was putting out TTL serial (low = nothing happening) and I had to invert coming in to see good data. I had worked that out last August.
Robert

Yes, one can once and awhile come across something using non-standard inverted logic. But standard TTL is as I stated. Simple test with just a voltmeter on the txd pin after loading this simple sketch. You will see the output is almost always +5vdc on both the send and receive arduino pins, as it's only sending one character every two seconds.

Code: [Select]
/*
  Blink
  Turns on an LED on for one second, then off for one second, repeatedly.

This example code is in the public domain.
*/

void setup() {               
  // initialize the digital pin as an output.
  // Pin 13 has an LED connected on most Arduino boards:
  pinMode(13, OUTPUT);
  Serial.begin(9600);

}

void loop() {
  digitalWrite(13, HIGH);   // set the LED on
  delay(1000);  // wait for a second
  Serial.println("?");
  digitalWrite(13, LOW);    // set the LED off
  delay(1000);              // wait for a second
}

Lefty

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy