Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Programming an atTiny85 SOIC with an Arduino Uno as an ISP  (Read 572 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all!
This is my first post here, but I ran into trouble while trying to program my atTiny85 SOIC, and I'm stumped. I've been using the Arduino 0022 with an Uno to program the DIP version of the attiny for some time, and it works great. However, when I try to program the SOIC chip the same way, the console outputs the following:

Code:
avrdude: please define PAGEL and BS2 signals in the configuration file for part ATtiny85
avrdude: Yikes!  Invalid device signature.
         Double check connections and try again, or use -F to override

I was originally using a little SOIC breakout that I made with some jumper wires soldered to it and then connected to the arduino through a protoboard. I was simply pressing the chip onto the board because I didn't put headers on my main PCB for programming, so I didn't want to solder the chip yet. I assumed that the sketchy contact between the chip and the pads was the problem at first so I bit the bullet and soldered the chip on, but afterwards I got the same error.
As a test, put a DIP attiny on the breadboard in the exact same configuration as the wires coming from the SOIC breakout, and the program uploaded to the DIP chip just fine, indicating that the connections are sound. I also tried two different SOIC chips, one straight out of the bag from digikey.

Hopefully someone out there can make a little more sense of it than I can, and I appreciate your help!
Thanks!

-Rohan

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

In no particular order, the things that come to mind are bad connections, fried chip, wrong chip, PCB error. You seem to have eliminated the first two. Don't think I've ever had DK send the wrong part, but I suppose there is a first time for everything. An ICSP header is almost always a Good Thing.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

View Profile

for the first internet says that it's not a problem.
the second means that the device's signature is different from the /etc/avrdude.conf one. add -F to the comand

View Profile

That makes sense, thanks! How do I add -F to the command? Do I need to upload from the command line?
Also, why would the signature for the DIP version be different than for the SOIC? According to page 150 of http://www.atmel.com/Images/Atmel-2586-AVR-8-bit-Microcontroller-ATtiny25-ATtiny45-ATtiny85_Datasheet.pdf, shouldn't the signatures be the same?

Thanks again!

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

Also, why would the signature for the DIP version be different than for the SOIC?

They wouldn't be, so I wouldn't expect that to fix it because something else is wrong. If for some reason just the signature was wrong, but everything else was OK, avrdude would give output similar to below. Here I've told avrdude I have an ATtiny85 but I really have an ATmega328P connected:

Code:
avrdude: Device signature = 0x1e950f
avrdude: Expected signature for ATtiny85 is 1E 93 0B
         Double check chip, or use -F to override this check.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

View Profile

yes, i mean for the comand line, otherwise you must change some config file if you want  use the arduino ide....
For error i set the SPIEN fuse to 1 (unabled) so i can't use isp mode... how can i resolve without buy a new micro ??

Scotland
Edison Member
Have you had your Arduino fix today?
View Profile

You may have components mounted on the PCB that is interfering, or blocking the programming signals.

Drew.
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - My UK Based PCB Fab & Assembly Company
Design work undertaken
SMD & Thru-Hole assembly

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

yes, i mean for the comand line, otherwise you must change some config file if you want  use the arduino ide....
For error i set the SPIEN fuse to 1 (unabled) so i can't use isp mode... how can i resolve without buy a new micro ??

Resolve what? You want to set SPIEN back to 0? That might require a high-voltage programmer. I have one of these, works well.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: