Go Down

Topic: Atmega328 vs Atmega328p....what are the differences? (Read 15 times) previous topic - next topic

oric_dan

Jan 11, 2013, 09:20 pm Last Edit: Jan 11, 2013, 09:25 pm by oric_dan(333) Reason: 1
Thanks, I looked at the 584 page d/s, and decided it was easier to ask the experts!

BTW, out of stupidity, I bought a couple of the atmega1284-PU chips instead of the
atmega1284P-PU chips, and to burn the bootloader, I found I had to track down the
avrdude.conf file and change to the chip-signature to that for the 1284. Then, it
burned the bootloader ok using the ArduinoISP sketch from a UNO chip.

However, to download sketches into the 1284 bootloader chip using the IDE, I then
had to change avrdude.conf back to the original 1284P chip-signature. Interesting.

Also, thanks for building the Bobuino bootloader. It's much more Arduino
pin-compatible than the others.

CrossRoads

You're welcome. However:
I didn't build the bootloader, I just developed the pinout I wanted.
maniacbug did the software. I had something mangled together for IDE -0023, but the change for 1.0 was more than I was able to figure out.

I think you can copy the 1284P section in avrdude.conf, call it mega1284.
Then do the same in boards.txt, make a new section with new name and call out mega1284 vs mega1284p
Should let you have 2 versions and not have to switch back & forth.
Worth a shot anyway!
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

retrolefty

Also, thanks for building the Bobuino bootloader. It's much more Arduino
pin-compatible than the others.

Again the bootloader used has nothing to do with the pin abstraction defined with the custom pins_arduino.h file used for a modified core. The bootloader used is reflected in the boards.txt entry of a specific board selection and tells the IDE the baudrate used for the bootloader as well as the memory size and the fuse and lock bit values used. The pins_arduino.h file is where one defines the abstracted arduino pin numbers to the physical port.pin numbers of the chip.

Lefty

john1993

Seems the P version has a timer3 that the non P doesn't, that's rather significant. Does manics port define and support timer 3?

that is an error in the datasheets. there is no difference in timers between the two chips.

retrolefty

Jan 11, 2013, 11:03 pm Last Edit: Jan 11, 2013, 11:49 pm by retrolefty Reason: 1

Seems the P version has a timer3 that the non P doesn't, that's rather significant. Does manics port define and support timer 3?

that is an error in the datasheets. there is no difference in timers between the two chips.

I don't think so. I didn't even know there was a non-P version of the 1284 before today, but that latest datasheet showing a non-P chip version avalible is pretty consistent through out that the timer3 (of timer0 through timer3) in not applicable to the non-P chip. Even the front page summary has:

Peripheral Features
- Two 8-bit Timer/Counters with Separate Prescalers and Compare Modes
- One/two 16-bit Timer/Counter with Separate Prescaler, Compare Mode, and Capture Mode

I take that to mean the 1284P has 2 8 bit timers and 2 16 bit times, where as the non-P has two 8 bit timers but only one 16 bit timer.

You disagree, if so why?

Edit: Interesting, if you look at the cover sheet page of a old data sheet it states:

• Peripheral Features
- Two 8-bit Timer/Counters with Separate Prescalers and Compare Modes
- One 16-bit Timer/Counter with Separate Prescaler, Compare Mode, and Capture Mode

So comparing the two datasheets ( 8272A-AVR-01/10 Vs  8272D-AVR-05/12 ) it would seem that the 1284P gained a fourth timer rather then the non-P losing a timer it never had. Pretty confusing all in all.
Lefty

Go Up