Go Down

Topic: DC Motor + Transistors BOTH DIRECTIONS (Read 827 times) previous topic - next topic

stigmen

Hey guys,
im trying to drive a little car using an Arduino.
There will be a 12V DC motor. So far i hooked it up with one transistor to let i turn one way.
Next step will be to switch the polarity in order to let it turn the other way around.

I was thinking i may use 4 Transistors, 2 for each direction. Id be happy if someone would confirm that my Idea works :)

CrossRoads

I can't see your picture right now, but basically yes - you need an H-bridge, either made with transistors, or made with relays (more or less limiting you to full on or full off tho).
There are several  H-bridge controllers available, such as L293 or L298, do a litle searching for their equivalent if you need mroe current control (you need to take the stall current of the motors into account whens selecting your parts).
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Grumpy_Mike

stigmen

Thanks guys, yeah looks like i tried to re-inivent the H-Bridge (sorry i didn't to a deep research before posting) but nice to know i was right :D

Problem solved, thanks again

cr0sh

I can't see your picture right now, but basically yes - you need an H-bridge, either made with transistors, or made with relays (more or less limiting you to full on or full off tho).
There are several  H-bridge controllers available, such as L293 or L298, do a litle searching for their equivalent if you need mroe current control (you need to take the stall current of the motors into account whens selecting your parts).

Not necessarily - if you stuck an NPN or n-channel mosfet between the ground rail and the "low side" relays (with an appropriate current rating - and a snubber diode), you could use PWM that way; of course, going this route, you might as well make the entire thing from transistors/fets to share the load (and for really large motors, using a single device for the PWM control would probably be almost impossible anyway).
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Go Up