Go Down

Topic: DC Motor + Transistors BOTH DIRECTIONS (Read 940 times) previous topic - next topic

stigmen

Hey guys,
im trying to drive a little car using an Arduino.
There will be a 12V DC motor. So far i hooked it up with one transistor to let i turn one way.
Next step will be to switch the polarity in order to let it turn the other way around.

I was thinking i may use 4 Transistors, 2 for each direction. Id be happy if someone would confirm that my Idea works :)

CrossRoads

I can't see your picture right now, but basically yes - you need an H-bridge, either made with transistors, or made with relays (more or less limiting you to full on or full off tho).
There are several  H-bridge controllers available, such as L293 or L298, do a litle searching for their equivalent if you need mroe current control (you need to take the stall current of the motors into account whens selecting your parts).
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

stigmen

Thanks guys, yeah looks like i tried to re-inivent the H-Bridge (sorry i didn't to a deep research before posting) but nice to know i was right :D

Problem solved, thanks again

cr0sh

I can't see your picture right now, but basically yes - you need an H-bridge, either made with transistors, or made with relays (more or less limiting you to full on or full off tho).
There are several  H-bridge controllers available, such as L293 or L298, do a litle searching for their equivalent if you need mroe current control (you need to take the stall current of the motors into account whens selecting your parts).

Not necessarily - if you stuck an NPN or n-channel mosfet between the ground rail and the "low side" relays (with an appropriate current rating - and a snubber diode), you could use PWM that way; of course, going this route, you might as well make the entire thing from transistors/fets to share the load (and for really large motors, using a single device for the PWM control would probably be almost impossible anyway).
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

stigmen

However im only going to use small motor (<1A), at first only with full speed/one speed, lateron maybe some PWM experiments

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy