Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Using large batteries  (Read 772 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'd like to have a bigger battery power my arduino project.  Ideally it would run for several days (or longer) without charging.  There is a large power requirement with motors (and motion sensors), so I was thinking of using something like motorcycle batteries.

I'm **very** new to electronics (not programming), and I'd like to know what is involved with this.  Is it simply a matter of a voltage divider with resistors or something else?

I was also considering setting up two or three batteries in parallel, if that's possible.

Realistic or silly?  smiley-grin

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Realistic  - if running arduino from 12V it will just the current it needs, let your motors run direct from the battery, or give them their own switching regulator, see www.pololu.com for examples. Can run the arduino from switching step down regulator as well for more efficient use of your power.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

When I search for "down regulator" on that site I get about 24 pages of hits.  Could you provide a more specific example?  Something I connect between the batteries and the arduino power input?  Can you give a product link? Many thanks.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

www.pololu.com, click the Regulators on the left side, will bring up a page of devices.
Browse thru & find something that will the current needed for your unspecified motors.
If you can't find your current size, at least you'll know what you are searching for.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

View Profile

Got it.  Thanks again!

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

You can get a ready built regulator here:-
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=152-524&x=0&y=0

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Unless one lives in the US, then that's a bit inconvenient!

Hard to tell with the geographically challenged newbies ...

View Profile

I found a few on Pololu that should do.  Before I buy them, though, I want to make sure I can make everything work as I expect.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: