Go Down

Topic: To build an auto follow camera (Read 230 times) previous topic - next topic

luotope

Hi folks. I wonder if anyone have build an auto follow camera using Arduino?
In sports, and in this case in horse jumping, it would be nice to have a video camera which would move on top of the tripod towards you. This would require some kind of follow me functionality. See the following link about a similar product pixio

The solution above uses some kind of triangel measuring, but I was thinking if the same could be achieved with a gps module with the rider, sending the positioning data via wifi or bt to the unit controlling the motor which moves the camera horizontally. The gps data doesn't have to be absolute position, buth rather the movement and change in values would be significant.

Would the accuracy in changes or reading speed be enough to move the camera smoothly?

Or do you know any other tracking/follow me solution which could be used to move the camera to follow the signal? In this case there may be other objects/horses and low light conditions so in my mind it should be based on some kind of transmitter with the object. The max distance would be 50m.

Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks.

zoomkat

Hi folks. I wonder if anyone have build an auto follow camera using Arduino?
I've followed this forum and have not seen a good "follow/track me" setup developed.
Google forum search: Use Google Search box in upper right side of this page.
Why I like my 2005 Rio Yellow Honda S2000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWjMvrkUqX0

MarkT

Sounds like a (hard) task for realtime video processing - OpenCV perhaps?
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

luotope

Thanks for the comment.
But my thinking was to use an ordinary video camcorder, so no video processing at all. The problem was to find a way how to move the camera automatically to point towards a moving object (a horse rider, or a football player etc.).

Thereby the question of transmitting gps data or something else to an Arduino controlling the motor which moves the camera.

Petri

DuaneDegn

Thanks for the comment.
But my thinking was to use an ordinary video camcorder, so no video processing at all. The problem was to find a way how to move the camera automatically to point towards a moving object (a horse rider, or a football player etc.).

Thereby the question of transmitting gps data or something else to an Arduino controlling the motor which moves the camera.

Petri
Most "tracking" cameras I've seen use image processing algorithms to find motion within an image. The GPS idea could work but the accuracy may be less than you'd prefer. The object with the tracking unit may not be in the center of the image all the time.

Another possibility would be to add IR LEDs and use a camera similar to (or from) a Wiimote. Using IR LED presents several problems. You'd need a good IR filter on the video camera so it wouldn't pick up the IR light. The IR from the LEDs would likely be swamped by direct sunlight.

I second Zoomkat's observation about not having seen a good follow me option using an Arduino.

luotope

Ok.

Image tracking might work in case you are alone in the arena, or in football field. In this case I wonder how it could keep track of one among similar moving objects.

The Pixio (link above) seems to be a working solution. Perhaps this should be seen as a challenge to be solved with Arduino.

Thanks.
petri

DuaneDegn

I just looked at the Pixio page. It looks like it's a great solution. It might be possible to build your own for a bit less money but it would sure take a lot of time.

IMO, the Pixio looks like a reasonably priced solution.

If you want to make your own version, you might want to check out some of the gear used by RC enthusiasts. There are FPV systems which actively track an aircraft positions so the antenna is always pointed in the right direction. I believe the controller on the aircraft transmits GPS data over one of the downlink's audio channels.

MarkT

Which is reasonable as a circular error of 5 to 10m is not a problem for tracking a distant quadcopter,
but I think GPS isn't going to cut it for this application unless its differential, and that requires accurately
aligned antennas, not feasible on a galloping horse!

Indoors or at night then IR beacon would be a possible approach - in daylight it would be swamped,
although an IR laser might work (much much narrower bandwidth, so a suitable optical filter might be
workable).
[ I will NOT respond to personal messages, I WILL delete them, use the forum please ]

zoomkat

Google forum search: Use Google Search box in upper right side of this page.
Why I like my 2005 Rio Yellow Honda S2000  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWjMvrkUqX0

sisson_d

Most "tracking" cameras I've seen use image processing algorithms to find motion within an image. The GPS idea could work but the accuracy may be less than you'd prefer. The object with the tracking unit may not be in the center of the image all the time.

Another possibility would be to add IR LEDs and use a camera similar to (or from) a Wiimote. Using IR LED presents several problems. You'd need a good IR filter on the video camera so it wouldn't pick up the IR light. The IR from the LEDs would likely be swamped by direct sunlight.

I second Zoomkat's observation about not having seen a good follow me option using an Arduino.
This product, SoloShot https://shop.soloshot.com, does tracking using a tag utilizing proprietary wireless technology and GPS. It does not work indoors, but you don't need line-of-sight and there is no image processing involved. Don't have a clue how you could implement this with Arduino. Sounds like a very complex project.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy