Go Down

Topic: Absolute max input voltage to FIO (Read 543 times) previous topic - next topic

davaughn

Hi,

quick question: I'm using 4 3.7 Lithium batteries = 14.8V to wirelessly power an LED strip that my FIO activates.  I'd like to use the same pack to power my FIO, instead of having a separate battery or a separate connection of a subset of my existing battery pack.  The listed maximum is 12V and I've succesfully driven my FIO at 12V, but before I burn $30 and try more: has anyone tried putting ~15V through there? Will the Voltage Regulator burn out?

Also randomly, does anyone know where to buy the exact cable adapter that fits into the FIO battery slot? I've bought 2 types so far and the heads of the cables don't quite fit into the LiPo slot.

best,
John

MarkT

How much current does the FIO take in _your_ circuit?  Without that there's no way to calculate the dissipation in the regulator...

BTW you know voltage regulators shut themselves down on over current and over heating?
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Grumpy_Mike

The listed maximum is 12V

Then that is what you have to use, go over that limit and all bets are off.
You need a regulator to take the voltage down but you need a few volts higher than you are regulating down to. Is it specified to run off 9V? If so then use a 9V regulator, standard ones can cope with 1 amp. You need the current to be able to work out how much power you are dissipating and hence the heat sink requirement.

BTW you know voltage regulators shut themselves down on over current

That is only over current for the regulator of course not the device.

davaughn

the fio dissipates about 50mW @3.3V

MarkT

the fio dissipates about 50mW @3.3V

You can only rely on that if you don't connect anything to it....
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Go Up