Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Connecting a self-powered PIR sensor to Arduino  (Read 2255 times)
netherlands
No Guts, No Grory
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,
I own a "traditional" self-powered PIR motion detector and Im wondering if I can connect it to my Arduino breadboard, and how.

This device has its own power supply (I believe it's 9V) and two connections for output wiring.
I'm looking for the proper setup for connecting everyting to an arduino.

So far I have only found the adafruit PIR tutorial, which uses a PIR sensor with 3 outputs, one for power.
Any ideas?

E.

Florida
hookedup!
View Profile

Have you hooked a multi-meter to the 2 output pins to see what type of output you get when motion is detected?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Most likely the two pins are connected to each other in the PIR when motion is detected.
If thats the case you can connect to ground, the other to a  pullup-enabled digital input pin and just watch for a low occurring.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: