Go Down

Topic: Need help with an "IF" statement ... (Read 759 times) previous topic - next topic

simkard

Hi all,

I need someone's help for resolving a little problem in one of my IF statements ...

There comes the code :
Code: [Select]

void WeatherDayControl(){
  // Conditions for ENABLING aeration
  if(ActiveAerationState == 0){
    if((dht_IN_Temp >= Temp_IN_Value + Temp_IN_Value_Threshold && dht_IN_Temp - dht_EXT_Temp >= 5) || dht_IN_Hum - dht_EXT_Hum <= -15 || millis() - ActiveAerationPreviousStateChangeMillis >= ActiveAerationOffDuration){
      ActiveAerationOn();
    }
  }
  // Conditions for DISABLING aeration
  if(ActiveAerationState == 1 && millis() - ActiveAerationPreviousStateChangeMillis >= ActiveAerationOnDuration){
    if((dht_IN_Temp <= Temp_IN_Value - Temp_IN_Value_Threshold && dht_IN_Temp - dht_EXT_Temp <= 2 ) || dht_IN_Hum - dht_EXT_Hum >= 5){
      ActiveAerationOff();
    }
  }
}

Where "ActiveAerationPreviousStateChangeMillis" corresponds to this :

void ActiveAerationOn(){
  if(ActiveAerationState == 0){
    ActiveAerationPreviousStateChangeMillis = millis();
    ActiveAerationState = 1;
  }
  FanOUTon();
  FanINon();
  ServoOUTopen();
  ServoINopen();
}

void ActiveAerationOff(){
  if(ActiveAerationState == 1){
    ActiveAerationPreviousStateChangeMillis = millis();
    ActiveAerationState = 0;
  }
  ServoINclose();
  ServoOUTclose();
  FanINoff();
  FanOUToff();
}

In fact, it works great except the (dht_IN_Temp >= Temp_IN_Value + Temp_IN_Value_Threshold && dht_IN_Temp - dht_EXT_Temp >= 5) statement which appears not to be executed.

Is there something to do when mixing AND and OR arguments inside an IF statement ?

Thanks !

johnwasser

In fact, it works great except the (dht_IN_Temp >= Temp_IN_Value + Temp_IN_Value_Threshold && dht_IN_Temp - dht_EXT_Temp >= 5) statement which appears not to be executed.

Is there something to do when mixing AND and OR arguments inside an IF statement ?

Sometimes the order of execution of operations is not what you might expect.  I think it may be doing comparisons before addition.  To force it to do what you want, try parenthesis:

((dht_IN_Temp >= (Temp_IN_Value + Temp_IN_Value_Threshold)) && ((dht_IN_Temp - dht_EXT_Temp) >= 5))
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

pocketscience

Addition has higher order of precedence, so the compiler shouldn't be getting that mixed up (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operators_in_C_and_C%2B%2B#Operator_precedence) - however the brackets are a good idea for clarity anyway.

What type are your variables?
Is life really that serious...??!

MarkT

For clarity put only one comparison operator per line!  You might then just see the problem.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Graynomad

A line like

if((dht_IN_Temp >= Temp_IN_Value + Temp_IN_Value_Threshold && dht_IN_Temp - dht_EXT_Temp >= 5) || dht_IN_Hum - dht_EXT_Hum <= -15 || millis() - ActiveAerationPreviousStateChangeMillis >= ActiveAerationOffDuration){

Is so confusing I don't think there's a chance it's doing the right thing. And if it is it's totally unmaintainable.

I'd at least try to put the tests on separate lines

if( (dht_IN_Temp >= (Temp_IN_Value + Temp_IN_Value_Threshold) &&
(dht_IN_Temp - dht_EXT_Temp >= 5) ||
(dht_IN_Hum - dht_EXT_Hum <= -15) ||
(millis() - ActiveAerationPreviousStateChangeMillis >= ActiveAerationOffDuration)
{

But it's not clear if is should be

a && (b || c || d)

or

(a && b || c) || d

or whatever. Now I'm sure you could look into the operator precedence but you shouldn't rely on that anyway. I'd be included to split the calculations from the tests

int a = Temp_IN_Value + Temp_IN_Value_Threshold;
int diff_temp = dht_IN_Temp - dht_EXT_Temp ;
int diff_hum = dht_IN_Hum - dht_EXT_Hum ;
int d = millis() - ActiveAerationPreviousStateChangeMillis ;

if(dht_IN_Temp >= a && diff_temp >= 5 || diff_hum <= -15 || d >= ActiveAerationOffDuration) {

This needs better variable names and still needs ()s to force the order of tests but I think it's a lot clearer.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Go Up