Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: IN-3 nixie power supply  (Read 1696 times)
California
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I'm using this 555 timer power supply for my nixie tubes:
http://www.ledsales.com.au/kits/nixie_supply.pdf

It produces approximately 170V but I also want to power some little neon bulbs with it. They use about 40v I think. Anyway, how can I get 40v out of my 170v?

Also, is it okay to use a pnp and npn transistor to cut off the 12V supply to the 555 power supply when I want to turn everything off?

California
View Profile

bump... can anyone point me in the right direction?

Left Coast, USA
Sometimes I just can't help myself.
View Profile

bump... can anyone point me in the right direction?
Without knowing the specifics of your particular neon bulbs, here's my take on it.

I'm not sure how much excess current that supply has above and beyond the Nixie requirements, but surely it can spare a milliampere or two.

So...

Remembering the little old NE-2 bulbs that we used to use before LEDs became practical, here's what I would try:

The bulbs themselves had a DC strike voltage of about 90 Volts, and "normal" illumination was attained somewhere between 0.5 mA and 1 mA.  (The power was somewhere between 1/16 Watt and 1/25 Watt, depending on specific tube type.)  After the bulb was illuminated, the voltage dropped to something like 60 Volts, as I recall---maybe a little lower---this is temperature-dependent.

I can't imagine that a neon bulb would do something horribly dramatic if you put a milliampere through it (maybe a little pop, but nothing earthshaking).  I'm assuming you have a few "spare" bulbs to test with.

Anyhow...

If you try a series resistor of something like 180000 Ohms (that's 180 K Ohms) to the 170 VDC power supply the operating current comes out something like

(170 - 60) / 180000  or a little more than 0.6 mA  (Off the top of my head).

If this isn't bright enough, try 150K or lower.  If it's too bright, try 220K or higher.  (Change resistor values something like 10%-20% between trials.)

If you know what the operating voltage really is, pick a resistor to begin with that gives you something between 0.5 mA and 1 mA operating current.  If you have a larger bulb that takes more current, you can try successively smaller values of resistor.

1/4 watt resistors are fine for these tests.

Regards,

Dave

« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 11:48:30 am by davekw7x » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: