Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Nano short circuit?  (Read 2063 times)
Sweden
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi guys,

I'm trying to build myself a "MultiWiiCopter" (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1261382) with my Arduino Nano 328p, but I've ran into major trouble. The Nano has been working just fine for a while, I've flashed the MultiWii program onto my Nano and I got my Nintendo Wii gyro and accelerometer running like they should on the Windows GUI-configurator. The problem started when I was going to "pack" all of the circuit boards together with some foam material and some rubber bands. All of the boards were working well before I packed them together, but when I was going to try them afterwards, Windows kept giving me an error message in a popup telling me that it can't recognize the device I plugged in. In the device manager, on the unknown device that is the Nano, it says "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". I think that I may have short circuited the VIN-pin to the GND-pin next to it while external power was connected to it (the BEC from the ESC that was connected to my batteri pack), as I was using open contacts and they may have touched. I'm not that great with electrics, so I want to know if I might have burnt my Nano by doing so, or does it have some built-in feature that prevents this from damaging it?

I actually got the Nano to work again after that happened by uninstalling every USB driver and reinstalling the FTDI driver so that I could use the Arduino software and flash programs to the Nano again. However, when I now, a couple of days after, tried to plug it in again, Windows gives me the same error messages as before. I tried everything I did before, but it won't recognize the Arduino.

When I have the Arduino plugged into my computer via the USB-cable, LED3 keeps going on and off very fast after the boot sequence. It gets power, as the green PWR-led is lit.

Any idea on how I could fix this or will I have to get myself a new Arduino?

Many thanks for taking your time and helping me!

Lisbon, Portugal
Bow before me for I am root.
View Profile

Get yourself a Linux box.

Sweden
View Profile

How would that help me?  smiley-roll

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

When I have the Arduino plugged into my computer via the USB-cable

When you do this, is the Arduino isolated?

Sweden
View Profile

When I have the Arduino plugged into my computer via the USB-cable

When you do this, is the Arduino isolated?

Yes, holding it by the USB-cable up in the air should be isolation enough, right? Nothing else than the cable is connected to it.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Yes, holding it by the USB-cable up in the air should be isolation enough, right?

It's a bit extreme but, yes, that should do it.

Nothing else than the cable is connected to it.

That's what I was looking for.

The Arduino was connected to a particular port when the "code 43" error occurred.  I'm going to call this the "code 43 port".  When the error occurred, the Arduino was connected to the computer by a USB cable.  I'm going to call this the "code 43 cable".

Do any other USB devices work when connected to the computer through the code 43 port?  Using the code 43 cable?

Sweden
View Profile

It's a bit extreme but, yes, that should do it.
Gotta play it safe you know! smiley

That's what I was looking for.

The Arduino was connected to a particular port when the "code 43" error occurred.  I'm going to call this the "code 43 port".  When the error occurred, the Arduino was connected to the computer by a USB cable.  I'm going to call this the "code 43 cable".

Do any other USB devices work when connected to the computer through the code 43 port?  Using the code 43 cable?

Yes, and yes. I've tried the Arduino with different cables in different ports and even two other computers of which none has been connected to an Arduino before, getting "code 43" everywhere.

Like I wrote in the original post, I've had this scenario before and somehow managed to "fix" it, though obviously only temporary, so that I could use it again. The MultiWii program ran fine when the sensors weren't connected to it, but as soon as I connected them nothing showed up on the GUI provided with the program.

If it's to any help, my Arduino is a Gravitech one.

Sweden
View Profile

Success!

I finally got the Arduino recognizable by the computer! smiley-grin Although not by just plugging it in to the computer..

I did it like this:
Connect to the Arduino:
A5
A4
GND ESC BEC
Plug in the +5V ESC BEC to the Nano's 5V-pin
Plug in the USB cable <-- It gets recognized by the computer here!
Connect to the Arduino:
MotionPlus GND to GND
MotionPlus VCC to D12
Press the reset button on the Nano
Start the GUI

Picture to describe that I'm doing (note that this is a Arduino Pro Mini, but it's the same pins):

Anyway, I realize that SOMETHING is screwed up with the Arduino since it can't connect to the computer without an external battery connected to it. If you can make anything out of this, please tell me what could be wrong!

EDIT: Okay, I just realized that this isn't a 100% success rate way to go, but it works sometimes, which is kind of annoying.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 12:58:59 pm by Citruz » Logged

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

I have no idea what's wrong.

View Profile

Can't understand how you fixed the issue. I have the same problem with my arduino nano. LED3 is constantly blinking and the board is not recognized by computer. Can you please explain in detail how to fix this?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: