Go Down

Topic: Putting all the bits together in a box.... (Read 587 times) previous topic - next topic

mjbmikeb

Whilst prototyping (which is 95% of the time), I use a transparent polycarbonate fishing tackle box (by Plano) with self adhesive Velcro stuck to the base and sides.
The Arduino, LCD display, power distribution, breadboard, sensor & output interface board and other bits and pieces all have their own bits of self adhesive Velcro to keep them in place.

Is there a better way?
I need something like Lego for electrical hardware so that stuff can be placed anywhere and it stays where you put it - something like a mechanical mother board.

Standoffs, nuts and bolt are just way too fiddly when prototyping and leaving everything on the workbench is just untidy and unsafe.
What do you use?

Robert Fisher

For "The Last Shuttle Project" I have been using Pelican boxes, 1010, 1020,1040 and so forth. These boxes have a rubber liner so instead of cutting this out I have just used foam to jam the boards into place. It holds them in place pretty well in spite of the forces involved in the launch, a lot of shakin'. Some of our cameras are 500 ft or so from the pad, pretty close!

cr0sh

If magnetic fields aren't an issue, you could perhaps mount small rare-earth button magnets to each part/assembly using epoxy (careful of shorts, of course - such magnets have a metallic chrome or nickel coating), then stick them to a piece of steel (or put inside a steel box). Another possibility would be to mount each component to a standard-sized hole-spaced backing plate (for instance, acrylic or wood, with the holes on 1 inch grid centers), then in some manner attach it to standard metal/plastic/hardboard pegboard with the same standard (use a piece of such pegboard as a drill template/guide for the backing plates)...
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Go Up