Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: programing and wiring 2 Multiplexer / demultiplexer with arduino  (Read 4897 times)
Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

The select lines have squares, they are just a little  hard to see due to the way the schematic was captured & posted.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

View Profile

Hi, I kind of have the same question, so I thought I might as well use this thread to post it in.

Im trying to use http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=74hc151n&x=0&y=0 this multiplexer to read a matrix of pressure pad placed on the floor. With pressure pads i mean aluminium foil wrapped cardboard > http://supersoda.com/detail.php?id=00000000036.

I tried to wire the 4051 multiplex/demultiplex example from tom igoe. But according to some comments I also need a pull down resistor and an capacitor to deal with multiple presses at once. Could anyone tell me what kind of resistor/capacitors I need and how to solder them correctly to the arduino ?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

You say matrix, but what you really mean is a collection of seperate pads and you want to sense when any are activated.
The pads themselves are passive devices, yes? Really just a switch.
So wire each switch with one side to a 4051 input and a pullup resistor to +5v, and the other side to ground.
Then just scan thru the addresses reading the inputs one by in a loop, when you see a 0 you act on the switch(es) that is(are) closed.
No pulldown resistors, no capacitors.
Your loop can be a blink without delay kind of thing. Every XXmS you read all 16 inputs and set  fllag if one is closed. Then you have a section of code that turns on lights or makes a sound or whatever when you see a flag is set, and ignores any new setting of the same flag until your lights/sound whatever is done.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

View Profile

Thanks for the fast reply!,

You say matrix, but what you really mean is a collection of seperate pads and you want to sense when any are activated.

No, i really mean a matrix, so that i can read through the x and y rows to determine the location of the pad being pressed. Is this possible?
Or does every pad has its own binary code, so that I can say: 1001 = left upper corner and 0101 = right upper corner of my pressure pad matrix.

Every XXmS you read all 16 inputs and set  fllag if one is closed. Then you have a section of code that turns on lights or makes a sound or whatever when you see a flag is set, and ignores any new setting of the same flag until your lights/sound whatever is done.

What do you mean with flag?, could this be a boolean being set to true if a certain switch is on?

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

So a matrix then which is really just a big keypad.
How many? With a 4x4 matrix, you can use just the keypad library, no 4051 needed at all.
Flag, yes, generally boolean.
Altho for a keypad, you would hopefully just get 1 location pressed at a time, then you can use switch:case to direct your actions.

View Profile

I think the matrix is going to be 8 by 8 pads, I already have two multiplexers > http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=searchProducts&searchTerm=74hc151n&x=0&y=0. Wired like the example on the right at the 4051 page.
Could you point out on the circuit where the pull-up resistors have to be? ..

thanks for your input !

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

With an 8x8 keypad, you can connect that up directly to an arduino (which has 20 digital inputs).
Then use the keypad library to read them.
http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Code/Keypad
You will expand this section of code
Code:
// all this stuff goes before void setup()
#include <Keypad.h>         // Matrix Keypad library

const byte rows = 4; //four rows << 8 rows
const byte cols = 3; //three columns << 8 columns
char keys[rows][cols] = {
  {'1','2','3'},  // call these what you'd like: A1 thru A8, B1 thru B8, etc
  {'4','5','6'},
  {'7','8','9'},
  {'#','0','*'}
};
byte rowPins[rows] = {5, 4, 3, 2}; //connect to the row pinouts of the keypad  << assign your 8 pins here
byte colPins[cols] = {8, 7, 6}; //connect to the column pinouts of the keypad  << assign the other 8 pins here
Keypad keypad = Keypad( makeKeymap(keys), rowPins, colPins, rows, cols );
then write your code that will read it in void loop:
Code:
void loop(){
    // go read the keypad
  char key = keypad.getKey();                 // reading the keypad
  if(key)                                     // same as if(key != NO_KEY)- did something change?
  {
 // a key was pressed, do something
switch (key){
case "A1":
// button A1 code
break;
case "A1":
// button A2 code
break;
//etc
case "H8":
//button H8 code
break:
}  // end switch
} // end if (key)

// do other stuff while waiting for  a key press
} // end void loop

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: