Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: EAGLE question: variant, technology etc. how to use?  (Read 1472 times)
Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Recently I have been modifying my phi-2 shield to accommodate a 20X4 character display. I used sparkfun's 16X2 library when I started with my original design. Since there wasn't space for the bottom right screw hole, I went into the library and created a different package LCD-16X2-3-HOLES with only 3 screw holes and I saved the original as LCD-16X2-4-HOLES. I essentially did the same with 20X4 display. I drew a new package for the 20X4 display, derive from it a 3-HOLE version. Now I have 4 packages that should be linked to one LCD symbol in the LCD-HD44780 device. Here's the screen shot:

I'm confused on how to organize these four packages, with different technology or with different variants? I lean towards variants from just the meaning of the word. My purpose it to be able to right click on a schematic and turn a 16X2 display into 20X4 or switch between 3 mounting holes and 4 holes by selecting a different variant/technology. I hope I described it clearly enough  smiley-sweat smiley-sweat smiley-sweat

Faraday Member
View Profile

I'm not familiar with the "technology" option, but I've done similar things with variants - e.g. made my own pin header library so I can easily switch between SMT or PTH and vertical or horizontal headers without redrawing the schematic.

-j

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

I'm trying to do the same. So you used variants. If someone can explain what technology is used for, that will be great.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: