Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Android Device Kit  (Read 2414 times)
I'm 15. I like making things. I like breaking things better.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Just read about the android device kit and open accessory initiative, I'm really excited. It seems like yet another great way to bring embedded electronics to the masses, and introduce the (wimpy) software developers to real hardware. Furthermore, smartphones are some of the cheapest sources of powerful, compact computing out there, and this is a great way to take advantage of it. People have been experimenting with this for a long time, but soon it seems it will be coming in a neatly packaged form. What do you think?

Article: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-20061529-251.html?tag=mncol;txt

Pictures: http://reviews.cnet.com/2300-19736_7-10007724.html?tag=mncol;txt
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 09:30:11 pm by bilbo » Logged

Alice asked the Chesire Cat, who was sitting in a tree, "What road do I take?"
The cat asked, "Where do you want to go?"
"I don't know," Ali

Georgia, US
Arduino makes my head hurt :(
View Profile

I think I need a Android phone, is what I think

I said so on Facebook a few hours ago, and everyone was either like "LOL HATIN UR IPHONE NOW AREN'T YOU?!" or "Dude, Android sucks don't go to it I'm trying to get an iPhone"

My response was: "I'm not getting rid of my iPhone, I love it, I just want an Android too"

(not trying to stir up iPhone vs Android vs Windows Mobile here, Blackberry sucks)

Seriously though hopefully Apple will realize the potential and do the same.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Anytime a large company enters into hobby electronics we should all prey for their bankruptcy. I don't think google understands what arduino is to us when it slaps its name on an apparently google-made arduino mega clone.
I bet they want to steal this hobby electronics market and make it into its own pet.

Why won't google leave us alone?!

Georgia, US
View Profile

Anytime a large company enters into hobby electronics we should all prey for their bankruptcy. I don't think google understands what arduino is to us when it slaps its name on an apparently google-made arduino mega clone.
I bet they want to steal this hobby electronics market and make it into its own pet.

If Hobbyists can make their own Google-made Arduino Clones (or Arduino (as in the company) can make their own) then it'll be cool, if they try to sue clone-makers they need to gtfo of our sandpit

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

Pretty sure this is the company behind the boards shown:

http://www.rt-net.jp/

At least, based on what I squinted at in the pics...

smiley

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

(not trying to stir up iPhone vs Android vs Windows Mobile here, Blackberry sucks)

Too late.

Will never happen with apple. They wont let you write your own apps, they wont let you have flash and they make you use iTunes

If Hobbyists can make their own Google-made Arduino Clones (or Arduino (as in the company) can make their own) then it'll be cool, if they try to sue clone-makers they need to gtfo of our sandpit

Its already been stated that you can create and market an Android accessory with out having to have Googles "stamp of approval". Secondlly both projects (ADK & Arduino) are open, so neither will die out as long as people choose to support it. Just look at the many variety of Linux as an example

Georgia, US
View Profile

Too late.

Will never happen with apple. They wont let you write your own apps, they wont let you have flash and they make you use iTunes

Its already been stated that you can create and market an Android accessory with out having to have Googles "stamp of approval". Secondlly both projects (ADK & Arduino) are open, so neither will die out as long as people choose to support it. Just look at the many variety of Linux as an example

True about Apple

Didn't know that about Android, I haven't actually looked into Android yet, the last time I considered them I realized that if you bought a handset, and they made a Android update then you were just stuck with the old version with no way to upgrade

Arduino rocks
View Profile

True about Apple

Didn't know that about Android, I haven't actually looked into Android yet, the last time I considered them I realized that if you bought a handset, and they made a Android update then you were just stuck with the old version with no way to upgrade

Update wise, depends on your phone manufacturer, and network as to what upgrades you get and when. For example, Sony Erricsson took for ever to up grade my x10 from 1.6 to 2.1, whilst other manufacturers get to done quickly. An those on o2 got the update alot quicker than those on vodaphone. (Network branding etc)

However having said that, Google has entered in to agreement with a number of manufacturers that the will keep phones upto date with the latest version of android for a minium of 18 months from when they go on sale.

Rural Arizona
Edison Member
Incorrigible tinkerer
View Profile

I'll take that bet.

What I think is that Google wants to make the Android phone your interface to everything digital: the web, your music collection, your home entertainment system, and all the networked goodies like smart appliances, home heating/cooling controls, and burglar alarms, that are arriving in the homes of industrialized-nation dwellers.

They see the Arduino out there doing for PCs many of the same physical-computing interface tasks they'd like to do with Android.  It's got a great established base of peripherals, tutorials, examples, and user communities.

So all they need to do is write a little glue code,  and their users can immediately, and easily,  do all sorts of "way kewl" stuff with their Androids by leveraging existing Arduino experience.

I do see some risk that Google could hurt vendors of Mega boards,  especially if they subsidize the ADK boards to encourage adoption.  Over the long run, though, I think it's most likely that the ADK will expand the market,  creating a rising tide that will help raise some of the existing vendor "boats", while increasing volumes and lowering prices on many add-ons.  And maybe bring us something really interesting: a low-cost Arduino with a built-in Bluetooth interface, and a standard protocol to simplify project like wirelessly-controlled robots and kinetic art.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

When that happens Ran, our free market on this sector of industry is again breathing its last breath of air and oligopoly comes in like the end of PC wars in the 70's and 80's. Big guys can easily establish standards that small guys or individuals will never exceed and never put their talented designs in the market any more. It's like any other industry that has been oligopolized in the past few centuries but just quicker. Where this is good or not is hard to foresee.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: