Go Down

Topic: Power to Servo and VRBot (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

JCDwight

So I finally got my VRBot voice recognition module working with my Arduino Duemilanove, it lights an LED plugged into serial pin 9 and ground when I say a word, and it goes out when a different word is said.

The main goal is to get it to rotate a servo 90 degrees when one word is said, and back when the next is said in order to lock and unlock a box from the inside.  I am not familiar enough with electronics to know if I can just attach two things to the one 5V pin on the arduino and ground.  I saw a breadboard shield that allowed two servos to be powered, but space is limited in this project and id rather just hard wire it if at all possible.  I dont want to blow up my board or VRBot so I figured I'd ask for guidance first.

PaulS

I am not familiar enough with electronics to know if I can just attach two things to the one 5V pin on the arduino and ground.

You can attach any number of things to the +V pin, as long as the total current draw does not exceed the capabilities of the board. Typically, though, you should not be powering the servo from the Arduino. Servos can draw more current than the Arduino should be called on to provide.

wildbill

I recall some recentish threads where people were having trouble getting the VRBOT to work. Some of them would probably be interested to see your working code and circuit.

edit: typo

JCDwight

Where should I post my VRBot code?  It was actually a simple fix, the PDF that came with the thing was a little ambiguous as to how things worked, but I used a lot of trial and error to figure out just how the thing connects and uses SI and SD commands.

JCDwight

As far as powering the servo from a separate power supply, I kind of want to keep things as simple as possible, it will be plugged into the wall using a 5v wall wart and the USB plug.  The servo will only use power a small portion of the time, less than 3 seconds every few hours or so, if I am estimating correctly on revolution time with a load.

I could put a battery in for the servo, but I'd like to use that as a last measure, id like the whole thing to be powered by one plug right into the wall.

Go Up