Go Down

Topic: I just want to display a string using GLCD! (Read 759 times) previous topic - next topic

cowasaki

I have been programming for 20 years using BASIC, Pascal, assembly and recently Java but I have never needed to use C until the last week when I got an Arduino.

I have built a device using a 1280 with 4 line LCD, PS2 and IR interfaces and a few other bits and have written a program with a menu system that works but I have now spent more time on one silly little problem than on everything else and it is driving me loopy!

GLCD.Puts(variable);  does not work for strings only arrays of chars.....

I have been pointed towards using the RC2 of the latest library but cannot find where that is.
I have been trying to use toCharArray again with no luck
I have tried writing a function to do it but again with no luck....

This is a function I wrote:
Code: [Select]

void printstring(String toprint){
char outputstring[255];
int i = 0;
while (i <= toprint.length() -1) {
  if (i>255) {
    i = 255;
    break;
  }
  outputstring[i] = toprint.charAt(i);
  i++;
}
outputstring[i] = 0;
GLCD.Puts(outputstring);
}

and I want to drive it with

Code: [Select]

String test = 'xxxThis is a test'; 
  printstring(test);

I appreciate it is not very efficient etc but something that works would be better than something that is pretty!

When I run this code instead of displaying "xxxThis is a test" it displays "29556" !!  I assume that this is the address of the string rather than it's value.

I have read the documentation but I still cannot fathom what * is in relation to char arrays either.

This is going to be one of those really newbie questions but I am really banging my head against the wall and it is holding up the whole project!

PaulS

GLCD.Puts(variable);  does not work for strings only arrays of chars.....

So? Extract the array of chars from the string, to print. Look at the String::toCharArray() function.

I have read the documentation but I still cannot fathom what * is in relation to char arrays either.

All of what documentation? You might take a look at a standard C book. Particularly the section(s) on pointers. You don't know C until you KNOW pointers.

cowasaki

Thanks PaulS,

I will learn C as I have learnt several dialects of BASIC, PASCAL and about 5 types of assembler (plus a starting knowledge of JAVA).  It was on my to do list for quite a while.  I am picking it up as we speak and have written a menu system for GLCD complete with input routine etc.  This is just one thing that I am having trouble with and cannot work out! 

I have a theoretical knowledge of the structures having used assembler and written such structures myself but was having problems with syntax etc....

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy