Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Sensor activated vibration.  (Read 564 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I am currently studying product design in university, I have a design for a product which is a wristband for a cyclist that is supposed to vibrate when it comes within range of a certain vehicle.
Is it possible to have a sensor on the vehicle that will allow the wristband to vibrate when the cyclist comes into range? How feasible is it and where do you think is the best place to get the equipment to make it?
Thanks

View Profile

yeah sorry about that, basically I want an electronic wristband that vibrates when it is in a vehicles blind spot. I don't have much knowledge in electronics (as you may have noticed!).
I basicly need something on the vehicle that will send a signal to the wristband (which a cyclist will be wearing) which will allow it to vibrate. So when the cyclist gets within, say, 2 meters of the vehicle's blind-spot they are alerted by the wristband.
So when the wristband picks up the signal it will have to vibrate almost instantly. I'm not too sure about how much power it will take, but the transmitting signal will be on the vehicle so it will be powered from the car's/lorries battery I guess, the receiver will be on the wristband so the power supply will have to be quite compact and portable.

Its for my degree show so it doesn't have to be super reliable,its just a model that gives a good indication of how the product will work. Can it be done for something like £50 - £100? Also, where is the best place to get the parts I would need?

Again sorry for being vague I'm not that knowledgeable about the terminology.

Cheers

« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 09:06:26 am by designstudent » Logged

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

So when the cyclist gets within, say, 2 meters of the vehicle's blind-spot they are alerted by the wristband.
The only way I could think of doing this would be to use a projector with an IR source, projecting a beam the size and shape of the blind-spot.

However, I can't think of a good way of stopping adjacent vehicles, or vehicles going in the opposite direction giving false triggers.

RF isn't going to work.

Perhaps you could design an advertising campaign instead, educating cyclists on the dangers of riding in stupid and dangerous positions.

(Aside: you expressed a budget in pounds, yet spelled "metres" as "meters" - where are you?)

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

View Profile

Ok thanks very much guys, back to the drawing board I think!
Also, yeah I'm from Britain, just a typo with the 'meters'.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:42:32 am by designstudent » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: