Go Down

Topic: Ist there any public project to build a MIDI file player from an Arduino? (Read 4 times) previous topic - next topic

clockdivider

Hello, I wonder if there is any project going on here or somewhere or wherever that turns an Arduino into a midi file player. I have seen a video on Youtube or so, where someone shows a solution with an sd-card and a 16x2 display, but unfortunately this is only a demonstration that it can be done, not how.

So I was wondering if someone saw a project like this is developing here somewhere in public? I would love to have a really small midi file player with the possibility to alter the midi-stream in realtime...

Thanks a lot! Martin...

kalum

Hello, I wonder if there is any project going on here or somewhere or wherever that turns an Arduino into a midi file player. I have seen a video on Youtube or so, where someone shows a solution with an sd-card and a 16x2 display, but unfortunately this is only a demonstration that it can be done, not how.

So I was wondering if someone saw a project like this is developing here somewhere in public? I would love to have a really small midi file player with the possibility to alter the midi-stream in realtime...

Thanks a lot! Martin...

I doubt the arduino has enough processing power to decode realtime midi and generate the audio output as well. Besides you will need the memory to store the samples for piano, drums etc.
It would be easier to use a MIDI/mp3 decoder like the VS1053 http://www.vlsi.fi/en/products/vs1053.html
The arduino can be used to send the MIDI data to the Vs1053 which will decode it and generate the audio output.

I created a mp3 player based on the arduino and vs1053 which can be seen at http://kalum.posterous.com/50759184
The same method would apply for MIDI decoding, just send the file/MIDI data and the vs1053 will decode it.....

clockdivider

May 14, 2011, 03:12 am Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 03:16 am by clockdivider Reason: 1
Thanks a lot for your reply, but I did not mean to make the Arduino produce any sound at all, I just want it to send the midi events from midi files on the sd-card to a midi-out, thats all...

Actually I found a complete ATMEGA8 and ATMEGA168-based solution, which is unfortunately NOT for Arduino, but it might be possible for me to solder the stuff together. The biggest problem I have is that I have no clue how to program the bare ATMega-Chip... Yet...

Have a look at this (german) page: It seems not toooo hard to build up such a thing... I will try...

Thanks for your kind post! Martin...

clockdivider

Hmmmm, thank you very much. Actually I searched a lot, but I did not see that there is an old forum. Nevertheless one thread I had found by searching on Google, it is this one. Unfortunately it shows only that it can be done, but not how, it is this one:

It works!

Here someone is brainstroming...

Here again someone announces such a project, and in October 2010 in the third post "god member Grumpy_Mike" says: "Lots of MIDI projects about but I have not seen anything like this, but it shouldn't be too hard, but you will probably end up writing it yourself. " This was not so long ago...

Here someone built such a thing, as far as I understand, but it is quite much oversized and I am not sure if it really is a standalone midi file player...

In the end there is no complete project I could find, where everything is put together with display and sd-card and so on... Seems I have to, well not start from scratch, but...  :smiley-roll-sweat:

Senso

Thanks a lot for your reply, but I did not mean to make the Arduino produce any sound at all, I just want it to send the midi events from midi files on the sd-card to a midi-out, thats all...

Actually I found a complete ATMEGA8 and ATMEGA168-based solution, which is unfortunately NOT for Arduino, but it might be possible for me to solder the stuff together. The biggest problem I have is that I have no clue how to program the bare ATMega-Chip... Yet...

Have a look at this (german) page: It seems not toooo hard to build up such a thing... I will try...

Thanks for your kind post! Martin...

The Atmega168 was indeed used in the inicial Arduino boards, so I dont know why you say it doesnt work in a regular arduino..

Go Up