ATMEL Mega1284P evaluation board avalible

Ok, I could see using that - I'd have to make adjustments to make it match my usage:

// ATMEL ATMEGA1284P / BOBUINO
//
//                    +---\/---+
//  INT0 (D 4)  PB0  1|        |40  PA0 (AI 0 / D14)
//  INT1 (D 5)  PB1  2|        |39  PA1 (AI 1 / D15)
//  INT2 (D 6)  PB2  3|        |38  PA2 (AI 2 / D16)
//   PWM (D 7)  PB3  4|        |37  PA3 (AI 3 / D17)
//   PWM (D 10) PB4  5|        |36  PA4 (AI 4 / D18)
//  MOSI (D 11) PB5  6|        |35  PA5 (AI 5 / D19)
//  MISO (D 12) PB6  7|        |34  PA6 (AI 6 / D20)
//   SCK (D 13) PB7  8|        |33  PA7 (AI 7 / D21)
//              RST  9|        |32  AREF
//              VCC 10|        |31  GND 
//              GND 11|        |30  AVCC
//            XTAL2 12|        |29  PC7 (D 29)
//            XTAL1 13|        |28  PC6 (D 28)
//  RX0 (D 0)   PD0 14|        |27  PC5 (D 27) TDI
//  TX0 (D 1)   PD1 15|        |26  PC4 (D 26) TDO
//  RX1 (D 2)   PD2 16|        |25  PC3 (D 25) TMS
//  TX1 (D 3)   PD3 17|        |24  PC2 (D 24) TCK
//  PWM (D 30)  PD4 18|        |23  PC1 (D 23) SDA
//  PWM (D 8 )  PD5 19|        |22  PC0 (D 22) SCL
//  PWM (D 9)   PD6 20|        |21  PD7 (D 31) PWM
//                   +--------+
//

@Nadir

Thank you very much, you even included Timer 3

Edit: Could you upload ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega1284p.hex somewhere? thanks

The link is Google Code Archive - Long-term storage for Google Code Project Hosting. which I have downloaded.

Sure,
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/ATmegaBOOT_1284P_16MHz.hex

Right-click, save target as, renameto .hex

Hi, any experience with the newest sdfat (multiple cards support) and two sdcards connected?
Thx.

No, I don't have a board with 2 sockets. Yet.
The first build only supports 1, the 2nd had incorrect uSD socket pinouts.
Have Rev 2 designed, but no cards purchased. Will handlle one of SD or uSD on either side of the board.

Suppose I could try an Adafruit shield for a 2nd one as a test.

Meh bootloader does not work: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

Actually my device is 8MHz so I installed WinAVR and compiled bootloader code (from brewtroller) but no avail...

Programmer is FTDI breakout.

EDIT: Turns out common ground is needed for board and ftdi breakout. Also I attached 8Mhz bootloader which works at baudrate 38400.

ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega1284p_8MHz.hex (4.53 KB)

Call me blind, but i cannot find the PCB layout for this exact board:

It's wonderfull, and i would like to toy a little with the layout :wink:

// Per.

Ok, you are blind!
Layout is not posted, that was a paid job I did, I had permission to post the picture.
You can send a PM to skyjumper to ask him for the layout.

Hello all,

After reading through the 29 pages of this thread, and about another 50+ pages of other threads, I am still at a loss to understand how to bootload my '1284 based dev board.

I would really appreciate it if someone could please share a working bootloaders for the '1284 that works at 16MHz and 20MHz (I understand different bootloaders are needed)?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
Madhu.

I don't know about 20 MHz, but arduino bootloaders will work at 16 MHz.

Check out the core files here for 1284's.

www.avr-developers.com

skyjumper made this bootloader for me.
(right-click, save-target-as, rename to .hex if need to).

Then get yourself an AVR ISP such as this to load the bootloader into it.

http://www.mdfly.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=415

add these 2 lines to programmers.txt to use it in the IDE. Tools:Burn Bootloader: w/ MDFLY

usbasp.name=MDFLY
usbasp.protocol=usbasp

and add a section like this in boards.txt

##############################################################
atmega1284p.name=Arduino-Bobuino 1284p      <<< this will show up in the IDE boards list

atmega1284p.upload.protocol=stk500
atmega1284p.upload.maximum_size=129024
atmega1284p.upload.speed=38400

atmega1284p.bootloader.low_fuses=0xFF
atmega1284p.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDC
atmega1284p.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xFD
atmega1284p.bootloader.path=Bobuino              <<< change to your path
atmega1284p.bootloader.file=ATmegaBOOT_1284P_16MHz.hex
atmega1284p.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
atmega1284p.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F

atmega1284p.build.mcu=atmega1284p
atmega1284p.build.f_cpu=16000000L
atmega1284p.build.core=arduino

Can you follow all that?

ATmegaBOOT_1284P_16MHz.hex (5.5 KB)

Hi Crossroads,

Thanks a million for all this. I was able to make changes to reflect my programmer in the IDE (AVR910).

I also replaced the pins_arduino.C with the one you have created and that it works fine.

Thank you so much yet again,
Madhu.

CrossRoads:
Sure,
http://www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17/ATmegaBOOT_1284P_16MHz.hex

Right-click, save target as, renameto .hex

Hey, is the source for this bootloader available?

Need to ask Skyjumper for that, he has the source and the makefiles and what not.

CrossRoads:
Check out the core files here for 1284's.

www.avr-developers.com

Is there a list of files needed strictly for the 1284p, rather then the complete package for all the processors?

Not that I know of.

Are there any plain basic 1284 boards with UNO foot print? The Bobuino is cool but way more features then I need. Essentially need UNO foot print, more RAM then 328 offers and shield compatibility. Be connecting Ethernet shield and a GSM shield. Much prefer on board USB over external FTDI.

I have an UNO32 which is PIC32 based. Great little board and compatible with shields. But libraries have quite a few gaps. What I am doing should be fairly simple to due with Arduino environment. Right now seems much less of a path of resistance then delving into MPLAB and Microchip Ethernet stack.

But with the RAM requirement exceeding what the 328 has to offer the 1284 is an appealing choice. I've looked at adding SPI RAM or FRAM, but I'd rather have less parts count.

You want a bare Bobuino board & just populate the parts you need?
Leave off the SD parts, RTC, extra IO pins, etc.
I could order a batch of PCBs, you build up what you need.

adilinden:
Are there any plain basic 1284 boards with UNO foot print? The Bobuino is cool but way more features then I need. Essentially need UNO foot print, more RAM then 328 offers and shield compatibility. Be connecting Ethernet shield and a GSM shield. Much prefer on board USB over external FTDI.

The only board I know of with the Uno footprint is this one, http://www.thaieasyelec.net/index.php/Arduino/ATmega32-Dev-Board-Arduino-Diecimila-Compatible-DIP-28-DIP-40-/p_133.html, but it's out of stock and the corresponding Thai page seems to indicate it has been "retired", http://www.thaieasyelec.com/Development-Board/Arduino/Dev-Board/Arduino-Diecimila-Compatible-DIP-28-DIP-40-ATmega32.html.

If you want something that's fully shield compatible (including the location of the ISP header - essential for using the Ethernet shield) then I think my Calunium board is the only other option. The footprint is similar to the Mega2560 footprint (same length, a bit wider). All the files and software are available on Github under a CC license. I had 10 PCBs made by Iteadsutdio for $25, and delivery was just $5. You only need to populate a few and the cost each is about the same as the Uno. You will need an FTDI cable.

stevemarple:
The only board I know of with the Uno footprint is this one, thaieasyelec.net, but it's out of stock

This is certainly a very interesting board. Too bad it is no longer available.

CrossRoads:
You want a bare Bobuino board & just populate the parts you need? I could order a batch of PCBs, you build up what you need.

Thank you for the offer. But the board is quite a bit larger then what I would like. I will spend some time on whipping up a board. See how rusty my Eagle skills are. If it becomes too much effort I might just take you up on that offer.

Reading various post here and on hackaday there appears some interest in a much more basic 1284p board. Perhaps doing it would be a worthwhile effort. I also though of creating a very basic vinciDuino or Leonardo clone. Not that I need one but just for practice as it would be low parts count and low cost.

As for USB connectivity with the 1284p, are there any reasons to prefer a mega8u2 (or is it mega8u4?) over a FTDI chip? I think the FTDI chip works out to be about double the cost, at least in very small quantities.

Also, I prefer TQFP over DIP. I tend to not socket DIP but solder them straight to the board in most cases, especially with in circuit programming.

So what you want is a simplified version of this board I did for skyjumper then.

or this, haven't done the pins_arduino.h file changes yet, this design was made to be pin compatible with existing shields unlike the new Leonardo, which appears to have been designed for ease of routing, with the hardware ports all broken up.